Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ampeg diamond model

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by only4him012, Jan 2, 2003.

1. only4him012

only4him012

Nov 11, 2002
    NJ
    I am looking for ampeg b-100r which is 100 watt. but I just noticed that b-50r which is 50watt has balanced line out.
    :confused:

2. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    Montana
    It's a typo at the site. I have the B50R. It is an unbalanced out.

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Do you mean you're looking for whether it exists or not, or you want to buy one?

If you're looking for the specs, look here: B100R info on ampeg.com

If you're looking to buy one, I have one I'm looking to move since I upgraded my rig. I'm in Westchester, NY.
    Also, this thread should then probably move to classifieds: wanted.
    :)

4. only4him012

only4him012

Nov 11, 2002
    NJ
    i wanted to ask you guys which one would be your choices based on the information that i have.
    the prices are similar,
    and i know im going to use this for mostly practices at home but i really don't know where or how im going to use this since this will be my first bass amp. it's going to be used with StingRay four strings.
    which one would you chose?

50 watt and balanced line out
    or
    100 watt and unblalanced line out

5. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    They are both unbalanced.

The 50w is smaller and lighter. If you are sure that you won't be using it for gigs, the 50w one would be great!

But, if you may use the same one for your gigs, get the 100w one. It will make a big difference in volume due to the larger speaker driven by twice the wattage.

6. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    Bass Player preferred the 12 several years back. I tested both and preferred the 15; been a good rig for 3+ years.

They are both clumsy to handle; one weights 45# and the other 65#.

If you like slap/pop the 12 might be better for highs, but I have been happy with the 15.

7. only4him012

only4him012

Nov 11, 2002
    NJ
    if both of them has unbalanced line out....how come their price doesn't differ so much...? is this a silly question?

8. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Those things are friggin' WORKHORSES, man! However, they are not versatile when it comes to sound.

I have the B100R and it has that old school tone to it (by design, so you have to know what you're getting into), but it's not good for more "modern" slap tone. If you want that old school (think Rose Royce) slap tone, you'll get it in spades.

Also, the damn thing is deceivingly heavy to lug around.

Overall, it's a great practice amp, but not versatile, sound-wise.

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    There is a small difference in price. What prices are you finding for the two?

The B-100R has voicing switches and a headphone out. For roughly $70 difference I would go for the B-100R.

I guess the appeal of the B-50R is the smaller size. It also sounds "smaller".

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings