Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg Dilemma

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by i like tictacs, May 14, 2004.

1. Which model of an Ampeg amp would you all recommend for me...I'm playing small gigs basically, and it has to be somewhat portable and liftable by one person, so nothing over 115lbs I'd say. Preferably, if it could tilt, it's better, it's just a preference I have because I like to feel the music a little bit when I'm playing. No price limit, and I don't really need a full blown cab or anything.

2. josh_m

josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    Check the BA series, they have a 2x10" a 1x12" and 2 2x15". I don't suggest the ones with built in effects, waste of money if you ask me. Go to www.ampeg.com and look at "Bass Amp" series.

3. megiddo

megiddo

Apr 5, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    I really liked the sound of an Ampeg B100R. Should work well for small gigs and practice.

4. josh_m

josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    It is heavier and doesnt tilt back, which is why I suggested the BA series.

5. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I second that the B-100R is a nice amp tonewise, but carrying it is a martyrdom, due to the conception of its handle.

Why not consider a head + a cab ?

6. megiddo

megiddo

Apr 5, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    josh m is exactly right. For me though, tone outweighs conveniance. I"m sure that will change after the new wears off my Ampeg SVT 3Pro and SVT1540 cab. :D Anyway the BA series has a lot to offer.

7. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    BA-500?

BA-210SP?

PBC2210? Portabass combo

PBC2112? Portabass combo

8. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    The SVP-CL is actually a preamp. You will need a poweramp as well if you want to use that preamp. You could just get the SVT-CL head?

9. Bigwig

Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    Grimcity
    wat about the ampeg B-2R head?

10. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Well if you are interested in the B2R head then I would go with the BA-500 combo. Essentially the same as a B2r except the ability to play down to 2 ohms and its a combo that can tilt back (i believe).

11. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Yes it can.

12. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    The SVT-410HLF seems to be a great cab.

As someone stated above, the SVP-CL is a preamp, not a head. It is actually the preamp version of the SVT-CL. But this one's very heavy, and if you want something easier to carry, maybe an SVT-3PRO would be a good choice. Then it all depends on what you're after, tonewise.

13. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Nope. The SVP-CL, despite its silly name, is actually very close to a a 70s vintage circuit.

It is NOT the same preamp as in an SVT-CL.

14. Rock&Roll

Rock&Roll

Jul 21, 2002
    USA
    This is just my two cents, and there may be some of you who disagree. But I would suggest no ampeg amp for you in use for small gigs. Not for under 115lbs.

In the next county over from where I live, I've played some jamnights where ampeg combos would be the house bass rig. Of the variety of ampeg combo's I have played, they all sounded weak, flat, dry, dead, and boring--Definately not worth the price tag they are putting on them.

Like I say, this is just my experience with them. I don't want to appear to be the all-mighty know-it-all. Maybe the times I've played them have just been flukes. Who knows.

P.S. -- All these combo ampegs that I speak of were "B" series combos. So maybe SVT series stuff would be better.

15. josh_m

josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl

Ampeg has no B series, I don't think. They have the BA series, the Rocket series, and the fliptops (i think they are called Blue Diamond or something?) The rocket Series names normally start with a B as in B100-R. These have no tweeter, are meant for a vintage sound that is very thick and rounded. People get into the habit of comparing amps, especially Ampeg with SWR. IMO they aren't comparable, two seperate tones associated with them. I think my BA115 has the right variety that I am looking for, but the Workingman's 15 is almost always too bright. My point is that if you like the Ampeg tone then you like it and you will want to buy one, if you don't then by all means go and buy something that you do like. He (she?) asked for advice on Ampeg specifically so my guess would be that they probably know the sound they are going for. The point in all of this is what may sound like an over priced piece of crap to you, may sound golden to someone else, regardless of brand, price, or in some cases even build quality; so don't go around saying how horrible they are with limited experience.

I just got off work and I'm cranky, sorry.

16. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    SVT all tube head with a 4-10. all biz all the time and they will dance the night away. :bassist: Yea its heavy but so is the tone! :D

17. Rock&Roll

Rock&Roll

Jul 21, 2002
    USA
    That why I said "I dont want to try to appear as a know it all." Let's face it, anything me you or anyone else has to say about these amps for the aplicaiton for another persons needs is just hear-say. So I forewarned anyone who might get offended (cough, cough, ahhemmm) to take what I said with a grain of salt.

Anyway, your right. It was a "BA". To say more, I have tried BA-115's in stores. The sound quality at practice levels was pretty nice (I still wouldn't pay that much for it). But when I had to use them at gig volume, they pooped out. Sound quality went out the window and volume never happened. And I can say that I wasn't the only guy who noticed deficiencies; other guys would comment about it. It really reminded me of some old peavy combo I used to have.

Hence, I second the vote for the SVT heat and 4x10 cab that vacman threw in. A 4x10 cab is small enough. Even if it ends up a little heavier than you'd precisely prefer, I'm sure it would make up for it in tone and volume. I'd just hate to see anyone entering into a gig scene spending their hard earned cash on something that is not really gig worthy. With the separate SVT head, you then have a lot of flexibility to use cabinets according to your gig size as you play different stages. And plus, it'll look cooler :D :bassist:

18. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    Heck, just hire a roadie and buy the 8-10.... ;)

19. josh_m

josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    I've used my BA115 at several small club gigs (100-200 people) and at a few larger ones (300-400) where the guitar was DI'd. I have never had any kind of volume problem and have never even had to turn the poweramp all the way up, I've never been drown out by drums, just sort of quietly put into the mix and when a soft part comes the bass hits. I have also used a Peavey Firebass/Sunn 4x10" and it really just didn't compare to the flexability I was getting, I was overpowering everyone and the low volume presence just wasn't there which is why I am hesitant to suggest a 4x10". I love ampeg but have never played any of their 4x10" at low volume.

I was just looking at their website and saw that they make a new 2x10" that looks like it fits the bill perfectly.

http://ampeg.com/products.htm?product=93&catid=22

Portable, loud, and a kickback. Pair that with a B2R and you have a nice setup.