1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg folded horn cabs in Cinci

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 3l3phantstomp, Jun 27, 2012.

1. 3l3phantstomp

3l3phantstomp Doesn't Welcome Our New Overlords

Jun 6, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
  2. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Actually a very common cabinet, but it's missing the grille cloth. They used Altec 421's. Incredible projection off the stage, but nearly impossible to distinguish notes standing up next to the cabinet. Their major competition was th Acoustic 360, 361 combo. Personally, I think the V4B head was amazing at 100 watts. Many plays used the V4B Head with other cabinets.

players used

Ric

3. Flabass

Flabass Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    St. Petersburg
    I had this cab with the Altec speakers and the V4B 100 Watt head. Earth shaking! You are right that you needed to be at least 15 feet in front of it for it to sound clear.

4. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I had the -- shall we say -- "opportunity" to try one back when they were in production. I know that the following puts me into a minority, but What The Hell as Avril Lavigne would say. That beast was loud and efficient, but that's about all I can say for it. It certainly didn't go all that low, not in comparison to the old 301 cabs or a good reflex cab. However, I recall the knee point of the V4B's bass control being pretty low, so maybe that's what Ampeg figured you'd use to make up for (imo) the cab's lack of low end relative to other designs.

But, LOUD is one thing it will get.

I would not use this cab or any other FH on stage where you have mains support for BG. They're too efficient and couple too well with their surroundings. You're just begging for phase/delay-related problems.

Also the weight on this was something just shy of 150 pounds IIRC. It can get away from you even on something as benign-looking as a wheelchair ramp, so watch out. (But that applies to any commercially-available wheeled FH of significant size.)

5. 3l3phantstomp

3l3phantstomp Doesn't Welcome Our New Overlords

Jun 6, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    MANY thanks for the shared knowledge! I love my v4b thru my b series 4x10 but anytime I see V4 anything I click with fury. Hadn't known this little corner of ampeg history until now. Appreciate it!

6. timv

timv

Jun 7, 2000
    Chandler, AZ
    Actually, SLM re-released them for a year or maybe 2 in the 90's????
    I have an ampeg brochure @ home showing it.
    I remember seeing a new one in a shop then also.
    They were as tall and wide as an ampeg 8x10 but about twice as deep....

Efficient it is.
    I used to play through a folded horn peavey 18" that was loud!!!!
    The cabinet would literally move across the floor.....