1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg for Genz Benz

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by arginator, Sep 28, 2009.

1. arginator

arginator

Feb 28, 2009
    Upstate NY
    OK, GAS got the better of me today. Went to Guitar Center today and traded in my Ampeg SVT 350 for a used Genz Benz GBE 600. :hyper:

Did I make a mistake? Both amps work fine, and after the trade in I only had to pay $50 more for the Genz. Overall I like the sound and extra power of it over the Ampeg. So I'm happy, and in the end that's all that really matters. But some people think I'm crazy for trading in the Ampeg. Am I missing something? Is Ampeg (even the lower end stuff like the SVT 350) really that good? Or are people just feeding in to the Ampeg mystique?

Just curious.

2. NOPE-good job sir!!You have now got a peice of art with customer support that throottles ampeg(in my experience) also.Nothing to reget in aaanyway!!quite the opposite!

3. you have made a wonderful choice. People buy Ampeg for its name IMO. It has never been known for great tone. plus gbe is a really great line. Good thinking! I'm planing on getting a gbe1200 soon myself and I am looking forward to that day more and more.

w

4. Ditto man...waiting on my gbe 1200...god what a tease waiting.

But ya know ampeg...blahh.To each there own but I agree in that it's half the name people get them.I like how I often see the 16 year old's with the ampg 810...well just cuz it's the name I guess...haha truth is I did too back when.

Then again they have there own tone asnd sound and some dig it.respect-it's just not for me.

Buuut try getting ampeg fixed this year...good luck(at least were I live).Call GB and chances are the damm founder Jeff will answer the phone.Nuff said hahaa

5. :eyebrow:

[​IMG]

Ampeg have a long history of GREAT tone.

That said- their SS line is take it or leave it. GBE600 for an SVT 350 is a good move IMO.

6. arginator

arginator

Feb 28, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Yeah, real Ampegs do have great tone. But this was a lower end solid state trying to look like an SVT. Just not the same.

Honestly, I was surprised how much GC gave me for it, especially with the gouges in the tolex and paint scrapes. The only reason I could think of was that big ampeg logo on the front and SVT look. Some teenager's going to snap it up, pay twice what they gave me for it, and think he got a good deal.

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 good trade. Enjoy your new amp.

8. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i have a GBE-600 and i've played thru my drummer's son's SVT 350 quite a bit at band practices. I'm a big fan of Ampeg amps (vintage ones), but i think that YOU DONE GOOD!

9. NWB

NWB

Apr 30, 2008
    Kirkland, WA
    The GBE is an excellent amp.

The only bad part of this story is that I'm not the one who got a really amazing deal!;)

PS - I think you could safely edit the post title to something like, "I just got a super-awesome amp trade".:D

10. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I'm a big fan of USA Ampeg, but from what I hear about Genz Benz, you did the right thing.
    Unfortunately, Non-bass players(and even many bass players) think that Ampeg is still the be-all-end-all of bass amps, solely because they used to be the $hit. Even my gu!tar playing buddies think i'm crazy that I don't have that classic SVT/810 rig.
    Many people have only heard of Ampeg, Peavey, and Crate. No one's heard of Bergantino, Aguilar, or even Gallien Krueger in my experience. They don't even know Mesa makes bass amps.

11. Gasman

Gasman Gold Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2007
    South Carolina
    I've been toying with getting a Genz 600 (used) at my local guitar store. I've played through it a couple of times and it sounds awesome. I'm currently playing a GK 800rb (two of them, actually). Anyone have any experience with these two and how they compare?

12. Surly

Surly

Feb 2, 2007
    South Florida
    Ampeg mystique is all tube, completely different from anything solid state. So I would not say you made any kind of mistake if you're happy.

13. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    I own 2 GB amps. That's it.

14. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

This wouldn't happen to have been at the Syracuse GC, would it???

- georgestrings

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Nobody likes Ampeg on here more than me, but I so would have made that trade any day of the week. Ampeg's hybrids are really good, and their tube amps are legendary, but the GBE 600 is a lot better than the SVT 350 or 450.

16. LaklandBass

LaklandBass

Jan 26, 2005
    IL
    good job man, a fair trade is rare at guitar center. they will normally give about 20-25% of what they plan on charging.

17. kranahan

kranahan Supporting Member

The 350 is a terrible amp. Good choice my man.