1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg Fridge cab, or ampeg + swr stack

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ayliffe, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Ayliffe

Ayliffe

May 8, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    K im trying to decide between buying an ampeg svt 8x10 or getting an swr workingpro 2x10 with an ampeg 1x15

HELP ME:confused:

2. Ayliffe

Ayliffe

May 8, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    or maybe a 2x10 plus 4x10...

3. You're going to get a lot of fans for both setups. Here's my take on it-

SWR make great speakers, not so great amps. I run a Goliath III (SWR quad 10) and its a really clean punchy cab. the tweater is great quality, but for my sound I dial it right down to about -8db (3/10).

On paper the swr will have better specs, but the Ampeg may have The_Sound you are after.

Also depends on your head and the type of music you play.

4. Get a Bergantino NV610!!!!!!!!!! I've tried Both Ampeg 810 & the NV610. NV610 won -Hands down!!!!!! Soundwise that is! Then there's the extra/less weight, smaller size.........

5. bstringrandy

bstringrandy Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2004
    Jacksonville, FL
    If possible, try as many as you can out in person using your amp before you decide. There's lot's of variables including what particular sound that you're after, style of music stage volume requirements, etc etc.

For me, it was the "fridge".

View attachment 61717

Randy

6. Bryan316

Bryan316 Inactive

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    Ampeg SVT-610HLF. Far deeper tone than the Fridge, easier to move and fit into a vehicle, smaller price tag.

Go test drive one.

7. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I would avoid the fridge unless you don't plan to move it often. I had one and hated it just due to the size/weight (165lbs)

Now I use two 2x10s and a 1x15 (all Ampeg) and love my sound.

8. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    I used an SVT with two SWR Goliath 410s happily for years. Frequently one cabinet was all I needed, even in large venues. I also owned a fridge at the same time so was able to compare the two and honestly I was more than happy with SWR.

9. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    IMO Ampeg makes better heads (tho underpowered compared to their ratings) and SWR makes better cabs.

A combination would be nice, or get that Berg NV610

10. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    SWR cabs compliment the Ampeg tone well. It comes through very crisp and clear. When I A/B'd the Ampeg 8x10, 6x10 and SWR 6x10, I liked the 8x10, but found out it wouldn't fit down the stairs in my drummers basement, where we practice. And the Ampeg 6x10 just seemed muddy to me.

11. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    Someone say ampeg amp and SWR cab?
    440961813_188ea9e9e9.jpg
    Really dig this combo. The Schroe in there was just for fun for one night.

12. In my opinion... you should get an SWR Megoliath 8x10. I prefer THAT cab over the Ampeg 8x10. The megoliath has a much better bottom end while retaining the awesome mids. I'm actually in the market for an Ampeg VR to stack on top of mine. I'd say that'd be the best way to go (meaning the cab not THIS whole set-up specificially).

13. Oh yeah... the Megoliath is lighter than an Ampeg 8x10, too.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 16, 2021