Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg Gas...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by haujobb, Mar 18, 2005.

1. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    Last night I tried a SVP-PRO into the SVP1600 into a 810E at a music store, all I can say is wow, it's the tone Ive been looking for for years. I could dial in the perfect amount of warmth on the preamp since I like a fairly clean but warm bass tone. I got loads of bottom end, which was really surprizing with the 810's 40Hz dropoff, but it handled a low A and even a low G quite well. The best thing is, it was loud, I've had loud rigs before, but it was always at the expense of tone, this rig sounded better and better as I turned up louder. I really started to hit the sweet spot on the 10's when the whole store started shaking so I didn't turn it up louder, but I can imagine micing that cab out and cranking it to get a really sweet tone in the recording studio.

My dreams were shattered when we started talking business however, the rig cost $3188 CAD before tax. But I really think I'm gonna do it, I've always used budget gear or gotten deals off of Ebay, but especially since my bands starting to get some bigger gigs, I think it's time to bite the bullet and buy a pro rig.

So starting today I'm saving, I figure I can prolly sell my rig for $1200-1500 so thats a start. My tax return comes soon and I'm hoping for a few hundred, so I'm just gonna have to save up a nice down payment, and starve myself for a few months while I pay it off...

I'm really excited, I've used a few ampeg rigs in the past and have always been pleased. Not a big fan of an all tube amp though so I've never really gotten into the ampeg amps too much, but that mosfet amp really has the tone I've been looking for.

I'm really excited BTW :hyper:

2. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Very cool indeed.

What's the difference between buying a 1600+svp-pro and just getting an SVT-pro4 integrated unit? Wouldn't that save you some $ to buy the integrated head?

I love those 810's, but at 165 lbs, I can't do it. You know what interesting is that svt-hlf (4x10) produces more low end. Did you get a chance to check that one out?

3. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    Not in the store, Ive hears them on stage before and they sound good. I really liked the tone of the 8x10, and have no way of trying anything else out, so why take a chance on something when I know that it sounds good with the 8x10...

4. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    Also, I would like a seperate pre and power amp so I could split my racks later, I'm saving for a midi system and I'm not really looking forward to lugging a 150 lbs 12 space as opposed to say a 50 lbs 4 space and a 50 lbs 8 space.

5. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Congratulations on finding your tone.

However... I have to say that I think you should seriously consider another power amp besides the SVP. Any power amp that is as highly priced as that should weigh like.... 20lbs, like the PLX models from QSC. And the SVP.... doesnt. It's a heavy clunker. :p

If your getting something that weighs that much, I'd go ahead and pick up a QSC RMX1450. $400 new, and 1400Watts.... about 40lbs. The SVP is $900, 1200Watts..... and about as heavy as the RMX amps, I believe.

You could also pick up a PLX1202 or 1602. $600 and $700 respectively... and they weigh only 20lbs!!! It doesnt sound like a big difference but when your rack gets heavy... YOU NOTICE :crying:.

However, it is your money... do what you want with it, of course :) . Also note that all my prices listed ate in American. :ninja:

6. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    I hear ya, I got an 800 watt power amp right now that weighs a tonne, but for $250 US on ebay Im not complaining.

Is there going to be a big tonal difference between the the SS and Mosfet power amps?

A PLX 1602 or even 2402 would be nice :D

GRRRRRRRRRR, you gave me more GAS

7. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    IMO? YES!

I'd highly suggest the Crest CA9 if you are not going to go with tubes...

8. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    Okay, so how much of a difference is there?