ampeg gear

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xstraightXedgex, Feb 3, 2006.

1. xstraightXedgex

Jan 27, 2006
    ok im just starting building my rig and i have the svt 3 pro and 410 hlf. what does everyone have to say bout this set up? and im planning in the future to add a power amp to it, so any ideas? and one last thing. im looking for a shock proof flight case thats at least 8u and has wheels on it and my budget is 450 at the very most. any ideas on that as well?
  2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I tend more towards full tube amps, but the 3 is ok. The word is that it's a bit XunderpoweredX. Especially if you're in a XhardcoreX band with guitars playing through XmarshallXcabsX.
  3. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    trade the 3pro in for a 4pro or B4r and bridge it through that 410hlf. That's your rig. you're done.:bassist:
  4. xstraightXedgex

Jan 27, 2006
    yea ive thought about that and i might. and any ideas on the rack??
  5. rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I think it sounds like a pretty good set up.
    If your budget allows it then, yeah, it's always fun to have lots of power. But realistically, this combo should be plenty loud for most situations.
    But... more power is good, right?
  6. 8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    Dont scoop out all of your mids. Stay away from the ultra low button. Take your time and dial in the amp in small steps, then add in the eq. 8u is a HUGE rack, IMO. I always used a 4 space soft padded rack that was lightweight & didnt take up a lot of space. If you ever want to add a little more aggression to the 3 pro add a Varidrive tube distortion pedal, Sansamp BDDI, etc.
  7. xstraightXedgex

Jan 27, 2006
    yeaa im just looking at an 8u like rolling one just so i can expand my rig in the future without having to buy a new rack. and it would def be way big on top of the cab but i think it will be fine next to it. but do you have any suppliers in my price range?
  8. I had a 3pro for a little while (not mine, but a friends' I borrowed)
    Nice little amp, despite the small amount of hiss.

If you're on a budget, and really want more power - a poweramp linked to the pre-amp line out would be all you need. Unless of course you're after a diff. sound.
  9. vroc38

vroc38 Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2006
    Don't be afraid to crank the EQ level fader. They get a whole lot louder when you do. I never had any problem keeping up with very loud drummers and multiple gui****s with an SVT3PRO into a 4 ohm load.
  10. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I've done hardcore... I've done punk... I've done ska... I've done deathmetal... and I've done drums in most of those genres as well.

And lemme tell you... unless you're getting assured some PA support, then you should bank your money into cone surface. The 3-Pro + 410 setup is pretty common, and sounds pretty nice. However, it can be somewhat borderline in the power/efficiency department. It might be enough for you, and it might not.

I think that your best bet would be to dump the 410 for a pair of 8ohm cabinets. Yes, its a pain in the arse to carry around... but its going to do a lot more for you (volume-wise) than doubling your power. It's common knowledge 'round these parts (Woo! Talkbass!) that doubling your amplifier power only squeaks out an extra 3dB of headroom for you.:eek:

.... that's not gonna help you compete on stage. Especially in a hardcore band.... where even the vocals are difficult to compete with at times.
  11. ricplyrz

Dec 26, 2005
    Thats true, but depending on the cabinet and amp, doubling from say 300 watts to 600 watts will give you more than 3db in volume if you are running a very efficent the 410hlf. You must also take into effect the extra headroom over the doubling of add 2-3 db for short bursts. 6 very noticable.
  12. etnops

Nov 6, 2005
    cabinet efficiency doesn't have anything to do with it. :) doubling your power only nets you 3dB more output. period.

doubling surface area only adds 3dB. doubling surface area AND power nets you 6dB gain.

there is no free lunch.

i ran the 3pro and a 410 classic (sealed) YEARS ago, and it was lackluster at best. nowhere near enough volume for my application. jmho.
  13. ricplyrz

Dec 26, 2005

So, a 300 watt amp..driving a SVT410hlf bottom which has a max spl of 125 db at 500 watts...won't sound any louder with doubling the power into it, thus allowing it to supply it's full rated output? If you say so. By the way, your classic sealed cab is 3db less sensitive than a ported cabinet of comprable size. So your svt 3pro and classic bottom (8 ohms) would give you...275 watts....into a sealed cabinet...would not be the loudest, but should do for many applications. IMHO
  14. etnops

Nov 6, 2005
    don't pay attention to those "power ratings". they are just a thermal rating, or attemt to describe one anyhow.

the gains i'm talking about are all assuming you've got the excursion to compensate, and you don't run into any thermal compression. and the gains are really only seen at and 2 or 3 octaves above resonance, in other words, a limited bandwidth. above there, power is not an issue.
  15. ricplyrz

Dec 26, 2005

Understood about the power ratings being wattage wasted or disapated. You would think they would use volts output or some other rating system.