1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg Guys: which company provides the closest Ampeg sound?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Warpeg, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Mesa/Boogie

24.4%
  2. GK

14.6%
  3. Hartke

4.9%
  4. Aguilar

8.5%
  5. Ashdown

23.2%
  6. Peavey

4.9%
  7. Sunn (older)

8.5%
  8. Nothing beats an Ampeg

31.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    So how about it? If you've had plenty of experience with TUBE Ampeg stuff and love the Ampeg tone, which company would you go with as an alternative?

2. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    GK has a dark Ampeg kinda tone for it's clean sounds. Through a tube pre in frony of a 700 RB II or a 1001 RB II and it's pretty darn close.

3. rudedogg

rudedogg

Mar 23, 2007
    I can get really close with my Trace Elliot amp. The 12band e.q. is very versatile. I have a V-4B and id say it( the Ampeg) is a bit more "compressed" sounding, and is DEAD silent when not playing, more so than the Trace.

4. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Mesa Walkabout give a wonder Ampeg tube tone as well

5. snaverb

snaverb

Feb 19, 2007
    Atlanta, Ga
    I voted for Mesa/Boogie... BUT
    1. In my opinion, nothing beats the Ampeg sound ( SVT Classic )
    2. But I voted for Mesa/Boogie being the closest to the Ampeg sound, the MB 400+ is all tube, so It can get you that all tube sound like the SVT CL, and also the MB Big Block 750 is a great hybrid bass amp that can get that tube sound, and a more modern hi-fi sound as well.

6. lambro

lambro

Jun 1, 2004
    well we have fet power section and all tube model Ampegs...and they each have their own sound

I would go with Aguillar if I had to choose, then Mesa

never been a fan of GK....

With a decent amp, your playing should be what people are noticing though

7. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    What, no Line6 option? :D

$10 says you (OP) can't tell which is which in a mix consistently more than 50% of the time (aka chance)!

8. jimbilly

jimbilly

Apr 19, 2006
    B15N or SVT ?

9. bfc

bfc

Feb 15, 2008
    Fenton, MO
    I think Eden comes somewhat close to the Ampeg sound, but that option was not on the poll.

Carvin B5, Washburn T25, Eden Nemesis RS115, Ampeg Portabass 228

10. An Ashdown ABM500 can get really close in the grit department, but still have a bit more clarity and definition. IMO

11. I chose Mesa, Aguilar, GK and Peavey. I misunderstood the reason for the poll thinking that you wanted to match up an Ampeg tube head with another brand cabinet.

I would say Mesa/Boogie or GK.

I have an all tube old school Ampeg and, if I couldn't carry it around I'd go with a Mesa BigBlock 750 or a GK 1001 RB

12. Half of that "Ampeg sound" is the cab.

I have a GK 800RB and an Orange AD200B, and both are quite "Ampegy" when using my Ampeg cab.

13. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Endorsing: SIT, Eastwood, Hanson
    I think Ashdown (well the ABM line at least) does a really good job with the SVT sound. Like Rhythm5 said, it's just got a little more clarity. Oddly enough when I was shopping for a head last time, I was pretty sure I wanted an all tube head, but I actually preferred the Ashdown tone over the SVT classic I tested out.... so far I'm loving the ABM 500.

14. origami

origami

Jun 26, 2005
    Big D TEXAS
    similar to Ampeg all tube heads?

being a former ampeg guy, (went to GK out of reliability, sound, and lighter weight) i might go back to ampeg if i had a road crew to lift some 810s for me, but IMO i don't think GKs sound like ampegs. both heads and cabs.

i would say the most similar sounding to ampeg would be ashdown then aguillar then Mesa Boogie in that order. many former ampeg users seem to dig ashdown ABMs.

+1 that a lot of the ampeg sound comes from playing ampeg heads through certain ampeg cabs like a SVT 15 or SVT 810.