Ampeg head and Eden cabinets?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Edenman, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Edenman

Aug 15, 2005
    Has anyone ever played through an Ampeg head (e.g SVT3Pro) and Eden cabinets, like 210XLT...or possibly even a 210XLT and a 115 (or 112)?

I was just curious how it sounds and what you think (compared to an all ampeg or all eden setup, or some other combination)?

2. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    I just recently sold my 210xlt/410xlt stack. Ran it with an SVT 4pro for years. Sounded great, held up well, what's not to like.
  3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I have a complete Eden rig (WT-500 and two 210XLTs) as well as a complete Ampeg rig. (Old Ampeg SVT-200T and a SVT-410HLF)

I have never played the Eden head through the Ampeg cabinet but I did play the Ampeg through the Edens for while before I got the Highwayman.

I would observe that the tone is still mostly "Ampegish" but some of the classic character is lacking. I have played that Ampeg head through a bunch of ampeg cabinets including an 810, 215, 115, 210 and the HLF. In every case the rig has the really agressive, middy grit that just bites into the mix and will not let go. The downside was that the bottom was muddy and/or lacking altogether. (much less so with my Q5 than any other bass) Playing the Ampeg through the Edens, the bottom is much bigger yet tighter. They are absolutely quicker and have more punch. Yet, they have a bit of a naturally scooped character that tends to rob the Ampeg of some of its personality.

I was typically happy with the sound in any case.
  4. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago
    I was running an SVT-4Pro bridged into a D410-XLT (4 ohm)for a couple of years. The cab handled the low B on my 5er with ease and was very tight/focused, yet I thought it still retained a lot of the characteristic Ampeg sound (like it or not). I was pretty pleased with the sound for a blues/rock/jam band (think Allman Bros/Gov't Mule) I was in. There are quiet a few players here who play the 4 Pro/410-XLT setup. I think the two pair together very nicely.

Got rid of the head simply because I had played Ampeg heads for over 10 years and wanted to try something different. Don't use the cab any longer because 98lbs at 3:00am after a gig started to get to be a drag on this old man's back. :D
  5. Edenman

Aug 15, 2005
    Thanks for the replys everyone.

The reason I asked in the first place was because I have played through eden heads and cabs. Just due to some changing situations, I might soon be playing through ampeg head and eden cabs. Ive played through Ampeg heads and cabs through friends and have liked the aggressive tube tone ampeg traditionally has and wasnt sure how it would fair through the 210xlt, which would provide a tighter, punchier sound.

Anyway, glad to hear people have found it sounds good, and the sounds have a little of both the ampeg and eden qualities.

Somewhat off the subject, has anyone tried running through a 210xlt and a 1x12? I really like the 210xlt for the sound....Im looking for a little more low end but also want to take transportability into consideration, so I was thinking a 1x12 might provide a little more low end, but still easy to move around. thoughts?
  6. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I don't think a 112 would add enough to the equation to make it worth the effort. Neither in low end or in overall volume.

Now, a 212? Maybe. I have heard a 210 and 212 stacked together. It was nice.
  7. Edenman

Aug 15, 2005
    I tend to agree with you....I guess the issue for me once again is transportation - Im not getting any younger or stronger, haha.

Since I have an 2x10XLT, I want to stick with Eden which is why I through out the 1x12 idea.