Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg Head/Cab questions. Good choices?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by incognito89x, Oct 20, 2002.

1. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    I'm looking to upgrade my Amplification in the near future. I love the sound of my Ampeg BA-115, but i feel I need more power :) I'm on a somewhat limited budget (college student) So I'm not looking to spend TOO much money.

I was doing some research tonight both in the Amps forums here and other various places on teh net. I was thinking this:

Ampeg B-2R Head ($549 list price at MusciansFriend.com)
    -
    Ampeg BSE410HLF Cab ($599 List Price at MusciansFriend.com)

Is this a pretty good setup? Is there anything else i'd need, or...?

I was also looking at the SVT410HLF cab and the SVT-3 Head. Both a bit more expensive than the other two, but if word is it'd be worth it, i may save for those.

Any input would be very much appreciated.

Thanks a lot

Chaz

2. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    I'm a BIG Ampeg Fan; & since you asked about my
    awesome V4BH and the now-extinct SVT 48HE
    which together produce a sound so pure, sweet, tight, glassy,big, phat, & round, that grown men have been known to weep.... er, sorry.

Anyway-your choices are both right-on.
    The B2R is the no-frills, basic solid sound.
    If you stash about $300 more, the III Pro IMO
    is excellent +. Great tube preamp, the mighty
    Ampeg "Ultra" circuit, & a tube drive-
    I've heard some claim that they think it is underpowered- I can't comment that, only that
    it's sound is huge.

Now if you are patient, & I am not, then hold
    out for the ultimate of them all IMO-
    The All-tube PRO II- abso-freakin' lutely
    the top of the hill.

3. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    Thanks. I'll think of the SVT2 for the future. But as for now I'm not even in a band, so I don't need TOO much power yet :)

Thanks for the info.

4. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    You can also find some purty good deals on used III's & II's on E-Bay, BassGear, etc.
    But whatever you choose, Ampeg makes nothing that doesn't sound rich rich rich!!!

Good Luck!

5. If you're willing to pay $550 for a B2R, just save the extra cash and get an SVT3-PRO. They retail ini Musician's Frriend and others for between $850 and $900. You can get one brand new for $650, and you can buy them used much cheaper. So look to get the better amp (in most opinions, but you may prefer the solid state B2R) for about the same (or less) cost.