Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg Head...what cab???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mattbassist, Nov 26, 2004.

1. mattbassist

mattbassist

Nov 26, 2004
    Hi,

I have recently bought an Ampeg SVT350 classic series bass amp head. I am 16 so money doesn't come easy. I was looking into Ampeg cabs and they are far too expensive. I have been recommended a peavey 410TVX. Can anyone tell me if this is a good choice?

Thanks alot

Matt :confused: :confused: :confused:

2. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    The peavey is an alright cab good solid and reliabe.

But for about 100$ cheaper you could get an avatar 410 that can handle uber power and has room to expand if you get a more powerful head in the future.

3. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Was the Peavey a 4 ohm cab? If so, that would give you the maximum 350 watts from that head. The Peavey is solid, and a tank. I can't speak for the Avatars, never tried them :meh:

I say go used. The classifieds here are a great way to go. I know there's an Ampeg 4x10 in teh for sale section. Been there for a few months now, hint hint ;)

4. softscrubmonkey

softscrubmonkey

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis
    i have the SVT 350 head and it sounds AMAZING through my ampeg SVT-410HLF cab. its 4x10 with porting and the sound is tremendous. its a 4ohm cab and the svt350 cant supposrt 2ohms so you wont be able to add on another cab but the porting gives it huge low end so you wont be needing a 1x15 or something anyways. its a bit pricy at 700 bucks new but theres noting wrong with going used you just gotta look around.

5. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    US
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
    Monkey, I commend you on your choice of cabs. I too throw low growl through one. But I think he is 16 and broke like I am now.

Might I suggest the answer to your problem? You need to look at only two brands. These will not only sound as good or better than Ampeg but will weigh half as much while costing less than half what Ampeg cabs do. They are Dr. Bass and Avatar. Bothg use Eminence USA made speakers which are also used in Ampeg and have been for years. The cabs are only a bit different from each other in two areas. These are cab dimensions and coating. Avatar cabs are a bit larger in most cases and are covered with carpet. Dr. Bass are smaller in size (a bit lighter) and are coated in a shiny black polymer coating like a truck bed liner which is tough as hell. Dr. Bass wins hands down in the appearance department. Both will sound fantastic, handle a hell of a lot of power and are very affordable. Check out both and have fun deciding. Nice choice in the SVT350H by the way. I play the old version, the SVT200T and love it. Dr. Bass cabs are next on my list. My Ampeg cab just hurt my back today! :meh:

6. It must be tough having just that all tube head without anything to light those bottles up.

7. I'd go w/ a used SVT-410HLF. I've owned both Avatar and Ampeg and I can assure you that they do NOT sound the same. Nothing against the Avatars - they are a great product. I'd definately pick the 410HLF used over a new Avatar though...

8. wildsponge

wildsponge

Oct 21, 2004
    Novato, CA
    Just to let you know G, that's the solid state version. The tube version is the SVT-CL

9. Are you going to buy new or used ?

10. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    +1

...and one can be had for approx $450.

11. mattbassist

mattbassist

Nov 26, 2004
    Thanks for all the info guys

I was thinking of buying brand new peavey cabs. The trouble with avatar is that i live in sunny england and so would have to import as they do not deal over here... This will end up costing me the same as peavey.

Still pretty confused :confused:

/\/\ /-\ '][' ']['

12. i thought he had the svt classic. I am not current on ampeg gear. i thought that was the all tube head.