Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg Heads

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by peasandpotatoes, Aug 28, 2005.

1. Ampeg SVT-6 PRO

8 vote(s)
    20.5%
  2. Ampeg SVT-II

11 vote(s)
    28.2%
  3. Ampeg SVT (1980's)

20 vote(s)
    51.3%
  1. Which of these would you suggest as far as tonal options and reliability?

2. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    From what I am told, the 6 pro is essentially a higher wattage version of the 3 pro. Its brand new, so you are covered for 5 years under warranty (reliability), it has a variety of eq'ing options (tonal options) and if it is like the 3 pro, it won't growl when you crank it like the amps with power tubes (no distortion). That pretty much covers your description, right?

3. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
  4. naughtry

naughtry

Jan 31, 2004
    NYC / D.C.
    I think which tone you prefer is going to be a matter of taste mostly but I am interested in responses about SVT6s as Im still considering buying one. There not in stores yet but I heard one live that sounded very warm and round to me but it hard to tell how much of that was the PA, bass, etc.

5. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I've never played through a modern hybrid Ampeg that could hold a candle to my '76 SVT,either sonically or volume-wise. It's still kickin after my 20 years with it. I'd say the reliability factor is self explanatory... :D

6. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    For tonal options I'd look elsewhere, Ampeg's are one trick ponies.

7. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    I just want to point out that his sig states "No, I actually don't want distortion. I want something clean and punchy with nice bottom"

Personally, I prefer the growl of an SVT- i own a '74. But I also have owned a 3 pro, which to me can sound like the SVT BEFORE the power tubes get real hot. I like the agressive tone you can get from a vintage SVT, but from his description, that doesn't seem to be what he is looking for.

and I just saw this statement "Ampeg's are one trick ponies."

I am guessing you haven't spent much time using Ampeg gear. I could care less, but I disagree with that blanket statement, especially considering there are about 30+ different amps in the current lineup. And no, I don't like the tone of every single one of them.

8. Nice said!

Personally, I was about to sell my 3-pro, but decided to keep it for the warmth. It isn't the fastest or cleanest amp around, but I like the growl very much.
    I'll just buy me a second amp for the hifi modern things. :cool:
    And my vote goes to the 6, could arrive on the wishlist too...

9. For most tonal options, ie controls then the 6 Pro, but, damn it, the SVT II (non-pro) just sounds better :p

10. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    Interesting, because I think the 3 pro is (for the most part) a very clean sounding amp and when it is pushed it purrrs more than it growls :D , but again that is compared to a cranked SVT (the kind with power tubes).

11. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    IMO when an SVT isn't cranked it's miles cleaner than a 3pro. By the time it is cranked it's pretty loud, which may or may not be desirable, depending on your requirements. I also disagree with the one trick pony statement. I think the tranparency (or rather the lack of it) of the cab can lead to this conclusion. You can get a lot of sounds out of an SVT with the right cab if you take the time to get to know the amp, and you aren't driving it into distortion (ie 'cranked') all the time.

12. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I'm just wondering who is voting for the 1980 SVT? Thats the infamous MTI era, FYI... up till '86 at least.

13. Bwah, maybe it's the purr then :smug: , no, I use the wrong word here. I like the low end of the svt. Compared to a preamp-power amp (peavey pv-2600) I feel like it's less controlled, probably a lower damping factor or so, but it is soo warm, nice, cosy,... That with the bartolini's of my pedulla... It's probably love, in good ànd bad days. :D

14. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    :D :D :D :D

15. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    I personally haven't played many Ampeg's but almost every band I play with has an Ampeg and they all sound pretty much the same to me. I'm not hating the sound but it's not what I personally like. I just gave an opinion from my experiences.