Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg Help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dan1099, Oct 25, 2004.

1. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    So, i was playing a gig last saturday, and my Ampeg SVT350 started having some problems. it seemed like the input jack was loose, i.e, unless i help the plug part of the instrument cable "up", it wouldnt put out any noise. Luckily, i have a friend who sat next to it and held the plug through the show. However, i dont expect him to become permanently attached to my rig. So, my question is...

Anyone know an easy way to fix this? I really dont want to be out an amp while i ship it to ampeg. Seems like it would be an easy job, just kinda nervous about opening up my amp. If its not something i should be doing on my own, where is a good place in Southeast michigan that i could take it?

Thanks

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    ANY local electronics tech can handle this. If its an open/exposed jack, it will take just a second to bend it back to make better contact with the plug (a few seconds AFTER the amp's chassis is taken apart). If its an enclosed plug, it will have to be replaced/resoldered, which will take a bit more time, and they'll have to locate the part.

3. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Yes, any halfway qualified tech can deal with that. Sounds as if it has a broken solder joint, and can probably be qiuckly fixed by re-soldering it.

We do not recommend you opening up the unit unless YOU are a "qualified electronic technician".

4. Dan1099

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Thanks. There wont be any warranty issues or anything, will there?

5. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Not if you have a tech work on it.

6. Dan1099

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    great. thanks for the help.

7. You're dealing with weak/dirty contacts on the PC board-mounted input jack. If it's like my B2, it looks like this:

[​IMG]

I tried cleaning and re-tensioning the contacts. It would work for a while, then screw up again. I finally got tired of messing with it, punched a bigger hole in the chassis, and put a locking Neutrik 1/4" jack in its place.

-- Dan --