1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg Heritage 410 Arriving

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dagrev, Nov 15, 2017.

1. dagrev

dagrev Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Kentucky
    After a lot of searching, reading and playing of a few cabs I finally have a Ampeg Heritage 410 arriving tomorrow. :D

I love my 212AV with my V-4B but wanted to leave that at home, at least for a while. Been using my V-4BH with a EBS Proline and I'm not as crazy about the EBS as I was initially. It sounds great, it just doesn't have "that sound" I'm wanting to hear. So after a lot of considering I pulled the trigger on the Heritage 410. I could not find one to play so what I read here was very helpful. But then after ordering I began to have cold feet and all the "what if's" started going through my head (too much bass, too modern sounding, etc.). Had to remind myself I wanted a little more heft to my already great 212 and that 410 will be perfect. Can't wait till I get to give it a whirl!

AlexanderB, JimmyM and Lovep like this.
  2. Congrats.
    Why do you ' want to leave that at home" - the SVT212??

3. dagrev

dagrev Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Kentucky
    Thanks!

Only because it sounds so good when I practice at home. It also looks cool in the living room! It tends to be kind of compact. After getting my first tube head nothing else will do, even at home!

AlexanderB likes this.
  4. Fair enough. I hope you like the HSVT410HLF

AlexanderB likes this.
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Between the two 410hlf's, the H410hlf is the one to get for sure. Both are a lot less muddy than they used to be, and they still have that big low end. But the H410hlf was a clear winner between the two. Definitely worth an extra hundy.

Ryan L. and AlexanderB like this.
  6. dagrev

dagrev Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Kentucky
    Sounds good, that's what I'm hoping. I'm not crazy about buying a cab I haven't heard so I'm excited and very nervous at the same time. I won't get a chance to play it out for another week. The only time I bought one unheard and it met my expectations was the 212AV. As a result I've been second guessing myself about just not buying another one of those. But the Heritage seems to have a little more low-end and will look better with my V-4BH. Not that the looks was a deciding factor by any means. In the meantime I keep telling myself, "It's going to sound like an Ampeg--you'll be fine." Should be here today!

AlexanderB and JimmyM like this.
  7. dagrev

dagrev Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Kentucky
    Well it arrived and all I can say is, what a nice cab! I only got to play for about 45 minutes but it sounded really good so far in the living room. I don't live in a mansion with room for the fullness to really shine and won't know how it sounds in a typical setting for another week or so.

Initially it seems to have more authority than my 212 and is not a bright or tight (using my V-4B AV). That's not a bad thing, just an observation thus far. In some ways it's as warm sounding and in some ways more aggressive than the 212. There's a mid thing going on that I expect will sit will in a big room when the lows spread out. The tweeter is really nice. Normally I'm not a tweeter person, but this one sounds nice in this cab. I can picture using it some. With it I can get close to the brighter (in some ways) sound of the 212.

Jimmy was right about the difference in the Classic and Heritage as far as toe goes. (Should he be doubted! Thanks man for the info.)

I will be using it with my V-4BH which is naturally darker and more polite than the AV (more SVT-like it seems), so that will be an interesting and a little different experience than the BH.

And...that sparkle grille cloth! Might have to find some for the BH and ditch the Classic look on it.

So far so good, but I can't wait to get it in a live setting in a big room!

Bass 45 and JimmyM like this.
  8. dagrev

dagrev Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Kentucky
    I've had a couples goes with the H410. Both times Pbasses, one '59 with TIs and the other an '05 with GHS Boomers. Sounds big! Close up (<4ft) you miss much of the bigness and hear some mids and highs. Doesn't always sound good very close when not in the mix. In the mix it sounds really good. Get beyond 4ft and you have Mr. Bass going on. I noticed it still sounded good farther away as well. Didn't get boomy in my situation. My 212 sounds better right up on it (a good cab to mic I would think), but looses a little farther out and just isn't as big sounding. Not bad just a little something the H410 seems to keep intact.

I'm still in the tweeking stage. I do like the tweeter. Even sounds good fully on! Never thought I'd say that. Seems to add a little presence to it. I haven't use my V-4B out yet, just the V-4BH which is more mellow. Will try an old single coil Pbass or Jazz this weekend. I'm hoping the natural scoop of a two PU bass doesn't just turn to lows, but I think it will be good.

joeypee, AlexanderB and JimmyM like this.
  9. dagrev

dagrev Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Kentucky
    Been using this cab with my V-4BH for about 7 months now and it's definitely a keeper. I've changed some of the strings I typically use on some basses to more or less of what I wanted, but I'm very happy. For someone who likes some lowend, it's a great cab--but that's not all it's good for by any means. It just has it if you want it. A little turning of the bass knob and you have a tighter sound. I love the authority of this cab. I have no desire to "cut through" anything and this cab helps me in my goal to be the bass and surround what's going on and be the foundation. Made my G&Ls more enjoyable to play now. Gave those aggressive PUs some hefty lows without being muddy. Wise decision that for sure. Thanks to Jimmy and others here for insight when I could not find one to play!

jdubbass38 and Ryan L. like this.