1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg Heritage 8x10 with PF800 or SVT 3 weak?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Brutalyzed, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Brutalyzed

Brutalyzed

Mar 19, 2018
    Hungary
    In the near future I want to buy an Ampeg heritage 810 cab and I need a pretty powerful head with nice classic Ampeg tone. I was thinking about hybrid or solid-state heads from Ampeg. They advised me to get PF800 because SVT 3 would be too weak for 810. Any suggestions or exps? It sounds weird with PF800, but full-tube heads (like Heritage SVT) are too expensive in my country. (EU)

2. voided3

voided3 Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2008
    I don't see any issues running an SVT-3PRO with the Heritage 8x10. It's 450 watts as opposed to 800, but it'll still get plenty loud with that cabinet. I've used a Fender Rumble 500 watt class D head with my older Ampeg 8x10 and it certainly wasn't hurting for volume or headroom.

If you don't like the PF800, I'd try the SVT-3PRO or SVT-7PRO (assuming that's the price range you're looking at). I mostly use a GK 1001RB-II with my 8x10, though if you want the classic Ampeg sound, an Ampeg head or another head with an Ampeg-voiced preamp pedal in front of it should do the trick.

Rashonjohnny and Brutalyzed like this.
  3. Ben B

Ben B

Jul 13, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    The SVT-3Pro is not a weak head. It will be very loud through an 810. The usual problem when people say the 3Pro is weak is user error. There are many threads on TB explaining proper settings to get the most out of an SVT-3Pro.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  4. Rashonjohnny

Rashonjohnny

Mar 19, 2018
    I agree with Ben b and voided3. I've owned a pro3 for years. Was looking to upgrade to a pf800 and was told by a few salesmen they have issues.

Brutalyzed likes this.
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    PF800's don't have any more issues than any other company's amps. I've had one for about 4 years now and it's been a champ. Sure, one might break now and then, but you can say that about anything.

The 3 Pro is 450w into a 4 ohm cab like the H810e (great call on the H cab...IMHO the best cab Ampeg's ever made). The all-tube SVT's are 300w. Unless you're playing in a band where the objective is to be as painfully loud as humanly possible without blowing your cab, a 3 Pro is plenty.

Brutalyzed likes this.
  6. Brutalyzed

Brutalyzed

Mar 19, 2018
    Hungary
    Thank you for your answers, you're all very helpful. Newer Ampeg SVT 3s are made in China. Are these as good as the older ones (USA)?

I tried SVT 3 & PF800 as well and both of them are great. PF is more powerful but SVT 3 seems to be more versatile for my taste.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    IMHO yes.