1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg Heritage CL preamp picture

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wolfkeller, Sep 29, 2016.

1. wolfkeller

wolfkeller Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    I had the preamp out of my Heritage so I took a picture of it next to my CL, for anyone who might be interested on side to side comparison IMG_20160929_193313043. IMG_20160929_193259549. IMG_20160929_193251421. IMG_20160929_193313043. IMG_20160929_193259549.

Rnb4003, SirMjac28 and beans-on-toast like this.
  2. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Very artistic presentation. :laugh:

3. wolfkeller

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    Well, I AM a bass player! Oah, professional tattoo artist on the side lol

4. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    Do you notice a difference in the thickness of the old and new boards?

5. wolfkeller

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    Honesty, I didn't pay alot of attention. I decided last min (gig tomorrow) to do it as the kids were going to bed. I noticed a few things like metal shafts on pots, better attention to detail (locktite) ect. Nothing major. I noticed that the boards are different. Lay out, connector (1)

6. wolfkeller

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    If there is a difference, it's irrelevant as they both flexed equally getting them into position to install.

7. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    Loud kept using the original SLM boards for many years after they bought Ampeg. The newer ones have their name on them. There are different qualities such as board material and thickness, the thickness of the copper traces, ground planes, etc. that can come into play.

The newer amps seem to be more road worthy.

SirMjac28 likes this.
  8. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I'm drawing a blank on the guy'said name here who used to work for Ampeg. He told me in a thread (or maybe PM) several years ago that based on the serial number my SVT6pro was made in Vietnam but with USA parts and USA labor (who was over there training their replacements). Gerald maybe? I may have remembered some details incorrectly but that was the gist of it.

9. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    I believe that you are referring to Jerrold Tiers.

In transition, the moved the factory and parts overseas. Loud used the original SLM board designs for many years. Eventually they modified them and put their own stamp on them.

SirMjac28 likes this.
  10. Hey, OP, what year and country of origin is your CL?

11. wolfkeller

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    I know the board says 2010 I'll have to look for the country.

12. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    That would come from the serial number on the back of the power amp chassis. How to interpret it has changed over time. Hodgy has posted the latest way to decode recent model serial numbers in threads on TB.

The date on a board, as seen above, is simply when the board was designed, not necessarily when it was made. You know it is at least 2010.

13. wolfkeller

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    Here's the cl

Attached Files:

14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'm going to guess 2008, since there's an A in the serial and that stands for 2008. If it was 2010, there would be a C.