1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg Heritage Series SVT-CL & 810 vs....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by redcloud, Jan 4, 2012.

1. redcloud

redcloud

Oct 6, 2011
    Has anyone ever compared Ampeg's excellent Heritage Series SVT-CL and 810 to two of Ampeg's SVT Micro-VR and four of their 210 AVs?

It would be less costly and provide exceptional versatility in trying to get that "vintage" Ampeg ethos.

Just wondering.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Dude...

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    But seriously ;) Nobody loves the Micro VR and 210av's more than me, and it will get you a lot of the way there to the classic sound, but you're way better off getting an 810e than four 210av's. You could power it with a Micro VR to save some money...the bassist from Jimmy Eats World does that...but the 810e is $999 and four 210av's is $1200, so you're better off with the 810e. Yeah, the Heritage 810av is a little more, but Amazon seems to have some great deals on them right now. And if you hear the SVT and Micro VR side by side (never heard the Heritage but I have a 69 SVT), you understand why Ampeg hasn't discontinued the SVT in favor of the Micro VR.

4. redcloud

redcloud

Oct 6, 2011
    Thanks, Jimmy. I need a little perspective/ guidance. The cost difference isn't really an issue in this case. I want to get it for my Son (he has some mobility issues due to a congenital heart defect and cerebral palsy). The 810 just seems like too much and while the rig would not be gigged; the cab's 136# seems heavy even though it wouldn't have to be moved much. I had considered the 410s but they get mixed reviews compared to 810s and I already have a very nice tube head and 410.

We both want a little/lot of the Ampeg tone; perhaps just two 210s and the SVT Micro-VR which he could move around.

Thanx again!

Scott

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Ya, that's a little better solution. Didn't know your son had a heart defect and CP, bro...sorry to hear that but glad it's not stopping him from pursuing a great pastime. Honestly, for what he's doing, you could use just one cab, but two do sound twice as nice, for sure. Not quite the same as the big rig, but definitely in the tonal ballpark.