Ampeg Heritage with 8x10 change of heart!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Doley50, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Doley50

Doley50

Sep 4, 2005
    I often practice with my band in rehearsal studios that already have the Ampeg head with that monster of a 8x10 cab, and honestly I have always hated it with a passion. Whenever I plugged it sound like I was getting ready to play DRI or some other hardcore band from the 80's .Not that there is anything wrong with that, but it's just not the tone I want for top 40 dance music.
    I use an Ampeg SVT III- pro with a BagEnd 1x15 and alway loved it, but tonight I had to play trough one of these beast again.
    I said maybe I just hate the way the other people set it, so I set it like mine Flat, I adjusted the gain a little to 8:00 oClock and turned up the master and low and behold , I got G.A.S I could not believe that my narrow-mindedness was keeping me from liking this Amp.
    Here is the problem, I wanted a smaller amp to lug around to gigs. This is not small, so would a 4x10 get similar results? I have my trusty Zoom B3 now I'll have to see how that 8x10 sim sounds. I was probably better off just hating it!!!

Just saying.

2. The closest 410 to the ampeg 810 is the ampeg 410HE. The problem is that the HE is 8 ohms therefore you can't just use one of them with an SVT because the max load for an SVT is 4 ohms.

The other option is the Bergantino NV610

3. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    svtIII pro doesn't like an 8ohm load?

4. i understood the OP was looking at getting a SVT as well. did not realize he was keeping the SVTIII.

5. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Knoxville
    The OP's statement is worded that he likes the HeritageSVT with the 810 and wants the Heritage amp with a smaller cab for more portability, hence the initial response. If it's misworded, and he just wants the 810 cab sound with his SVT3pro, then of course your sentiment is correct.

6. That being the case, he would want the HSVT-CL and the HSVT-410HLF which will work fine, but unfortunately doesn't do the 810 very well. Much deeper lows.

Short of that, he would want (2) of the 410HEs or just do it RIGHT and get the HSVT810e. :D

7. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I read it the same way, like he wants to use the tube amp with a smaller cab.

Tube SVT needs 4ohm cab (or 2), can not do 8.

3Pro and 8ohms is fine.

Does the 410HE use the same 32ohm drivers as the 810? I think it does. 410's that use 8ohm drivers can be re-wired for 2 ohms and fine to use with an SVT that way.

8. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    yes the 410he used 32ohm drivers

yea, it makes sense now, i misread a little.

9. jmcorn

jmcorn

Jul 4, 2012
    South Carolina
    Praise and Worship bassist member #1232
    I tried my SVT 2 today with a Carvin BR410 and a BR115. I must admit I was very surprised by how good it sounded. The BR410 is sealed cab. They are not that heavy and are relatively inexpensive. I got these in trade for a preamp I had. I have never bought an ampeg 810 due to its weight and the fact that I would have to lug it upstairs to my music room. I am not sure what i am missing out on not having one. I was thinking about possibly ordering another BR410 for an easy to carry 810.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I could have told you that and saved you a lot of grief! :D

Honestly, there is no other cab besides the H810e as far as I'm concerned. However, a very good substitute I've found is two of the little SVT 210av's. Doesn't take the power of a full-on cranked SVT (not that you're likely looking for that) and won't go quite as low as the 810e, but has the sound and the low end comes back with just a little bass bump.

11. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods!

My solution for a portable 810, when needed, is 2 x 410HE. Twin 210HE's would be intersting.

12. sedan_dad

sedan_dad

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    Two of the 410he's work well also.

13. sedan_dad

sedan_dad

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    I have an outdoor gig Wendsday that I need to beet feet to after work. Rather than hauling the pig out I'll just bring a second 410 with me. The 3pro and a 410 are already in the truck now.

14. Doley50

Doley50

Sep 4, 2005
    Maybe I should have made my post a little clear, while the Heritage head with 8x10 cab is a sound that I have become to like, maybe even love!
    At this point it is not even on the GAS list. Why, it's just not practical for me, I could not even imagine lugging that cab around to gigs, my onstage amp is for back full only , I feed the FOH through my Zoom B3 and I'm pretty happy with the amp and cab sim of the Ampeg and 8x10 that it offers.
    However I will say a HSVTCL head with a 4x10 cab could be interesting!!!

15. Yes, but you won't be able to use the Ampeg 410HE, you would need to look for a 4 ohm 410 that is also sealed to get close to the sound of the 810. 2 AV210 might do the trick but the power handling could be an issue depending on how loud you want to play the SVT.

16. Halvorsen

Halvorsen

Mar 7, 2008
    Vermont
    What you should take away from this experience is that life is telling you that you SHOULD be playing in a band like DRI or some other hardcore band from the 80's instead of top 40 dance music......

But then again, I feel that way about most bands so, YMMV.....

17. B'Boom

B'Boom

Feb 6, 2010
    France
  18. Doley50

Doley50

Sep 4, 2005
    +1
    Oh how I wish !!!

I know there are countless post about this, but my SVT 3 pro , states the speaker output is:

200 whatts @ 8 ohms
    350 whatts @ 4 ohms

Bassed on these numbers I could use either type of load?

And the SVT410HLF is a 4ohm cab.

http://http://www.ampeg.com/products/heritage/svt410HLF/

19. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    Ive read the SVT 7Pro gets pretty close to the SVT Classic tone. Perhaps one of them and a 410E would be the way to go.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021