Ampeg Hiss

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by steve21, Jan 23, 2006.

1. steve21

steve21 Banned

I just got an Ampeg BA115, and the tone at the store was real nice, and even at home it was very nice tone... but at the store there was a VERY LIGHT hissing... but tonight while I was playing it myself, the hiss was just WAY too much.

Is there anything I can do about this, or should I just take it to GC and get the Backline 115?
  2. theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ok one thing I noticed is that you siad that hiss was much louder when you played it "tonight" I could imagine that when everything is quieter around you like at night time any noise around would seem to be louder.(I only really here the kitchen clock tick when its night time and quieter all round) I've seen here that ampeg are known for their hissyness.It could also be the way you have it eq'd the more treble the more hissy it's going to be. It could also be your bass. Compare the hiss to when your bass is plugged in and when its not plugged in at the same amp settings. If it gets considerably louder go over to pickup and electronics do a search and make some posts. Apart form that I can't really be of much more help though sorry.
  3. This issue has been discussed many times before.
    The hiss is from the tweeter. I suggest that if it bothers you, then turn down the treble and you will hear less hiss. If you love the amp and do not want to return it for another, you could replace the tweeter for a better quality one.

Good luck