1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg... I finally "Get it"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kjpollo, May 19, 2012.

1. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    Recently I picked up a used Ampeg B5R from another TBer. Due to some serious personal issues, band rehearsal got bumped a few times.
    Today, I finally got to use this head for a full rehearsal.
    All I can say is,,,why did I wait so long???

Granted, I know this is a solid-state amp and not one of the tube heads that really make Ampeg a player's favorite, but still, what a difference!!!
    I was using a vintage SWR Studio 220 with a Workingmans 410 cab but I was straining the head and I really wasnt being heard.
    Well, today I used the Ampeg and it was amazing how much better everyone was hearing me! The only thing I need to do is to turn up the gain when I use the distortion channel to blend in some dirt on some of our songs.

I know I'll probably never own one of their 75 lb behemoths, but I'm really digging what I'm hearing from this amp!!:hyper:

2. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead!

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Once you use one...you'll know why they carry them around ;)

Congrats on digging the head! I'd check out some of the new Portaflex micro heads if you liked the B5R. They are lightweight, but have great tone and volume to boot.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/ampeg-pf-500-portaflex-500w-bass-amp-head

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Yeah, it's funny...it's a lot like Fender basses...some people get turned off because so many others use them and they want to be different, and then they plug into them and realize why so many people use them ;)

4. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Try Aguilar and then you'll get why people eventually leave them ;) Had an SVT for a little over a year. Awesome head, but my DB750 does everything the SVT did but better.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    original.jpg

Wow dude, give the guy 5 minutes to enjoy his new rig!

6. Truktek2

Truktek2

Sep 5, 2008
    Queens, NY
    Yep, I had my moment of clarity about a year ago.:bassist:

7. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Just spreading the gospel!

8. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    Ampeg is the quintessential sound of bass guitar, so it's the tone in your head, whether you realize it or not. I've tried a ton of other heads (SWR, Hartke, Aguilar, GB, etc.), and while there are things that I really like about all of them, Ampeg has the sound I want. I will be getting one of those all-tube behemoths as soon as I can talk the wife into it.

9. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    It's myopic to think that. It would be appropriate to say its the sound in your head.
    I'm a fan after a B-15 blew away the Fenders I was playing through in 1967. Yet I think the sound in your head of what bass sounds like can come from the Big Band era, the '60s where there was a lot of Marshall and Sunn the '70s/'80s Hartke GK stacks, SVTs w/fridges which is not a B-15 sound. If you grew up hearing American west coast surf music you may think the correct bass sound is a Fender bass through a Fender piggyback dual showman with JBLs. What if you grew up listening to Yes?
    This could be a recorded sound from Brahms or Bach or James Jamerson direct into the console.
    Ultimately it could be just the sound you hear in your head.
    I'm not here to argue at all. I'm just stating that that sound in your head could be based on what you listen to, when you listened to it.

10. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    I have a lot of different sounds in my head. :atoz:

Many of them are very awesome sounds, and they come from a variety of different types of amps and cabs or even not. There's no be-all-end-all for everyone and every situation. That's just the way it is. I'm really glad that there are options for every type of player, and I'm even happier when someone finds the sound that works for them. :)

Nothing better than standing in front of that rig and making some sounds that make you laugh with how sweet it is...whether its Ampeg, Fender, Mesa, GK, Markbass, HiWatt or even Behringer.

11. stingray56funk

stingray56funk

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    +1

Ampeg + Fender = Sound of Bass :bassist:

12. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    Trust me guys, I have a VERY limited gear budget these days so I have to be very careful how I spend my cash.
    I got what I thought was a very good deal on this head and I'm really happy I bought it.

Do I wish I could get a MarkBass or a Genz? Yes. But the reality is, even used, they are out of my price range.

And regarding the Ampeg tube amps, I KNOW they are great amps but I know better than to try to get one and lug it around on gigs. Heck the B5R is about 30 lbs and thats PLENTY for me!

13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    And yours, since you play a Monique ;)

14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Wow, bands must hate you taking up all the onstage room when you bring several different amps to one gig!

15. I "got it" and then left it! Glad you are enjoying your new to your rig, it is so nice when you find "your sound"! Enjoy :D

16. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Played through a SVT mated to a SWR 4x10 yesterday at an open jam. nice but so much treble!!!! Gah! Had the treble on the amp and on my bass flat but still. Maybe the guy had the tweeter on the cab maxed out. Overall, I liked the amp.

17. Way cool - I like happy campers, enjoy your new amp bass bro. :bassist:

18. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    SWR cabs are voiced really bright even without the tweeter on.

19. Bert Slide

Bert Slide

May 16, 2012
    Louisville KY

After years of trying amps and pedals that claim to get that SVT sound I finally broke down and bought a used 90s SVT-CL and 810. So many amps out there get 100's of different tones but the SVT gives me the one tone I want for what I play. Easy to dial in any room and I am now leaving the effects at home and plugging straight in. For me there is no substitute and I don't mind the weight. Cab rolls easy on the wheels and I put the amp head in a road case and wheel it in on a long skateboard. Would love to get a real vintage SVT someday and am currently looking for a V-4b and smaller cab to use for smaller gigs and as a backup if the SVT goes down.

20. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    As a vintage SVT owner, I find nothing to complain about with the CL at all except not having two channels, which I rarely use anyway. Just used a rental CL on my gig last night and it killed.