Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg, I think?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 87octane_, Aug 1, 2001.

1. 87octane_

87octane_ Guest

Jul 18, 2001
    Sumner, IL
    At the moment, I am using a 70 watt peavey combo amp (Bleah.), but I'd really like to break away from combos, since I've got a small band started. I've heard a lotta good things about Ampegs, and I've heard good things come FROM Ampegs. I really don't want anything much larger than say, 300-400 watts? I'm also kinda on a budget, so if you have any other, cheaper amp suggestions, I'm open. But anyway, I just kinda wanted someone to point me in the direction of a relatively cheap (under $1000) rig. Thanks.

2. The best choice for your price would be an SVT3-PRO. 450w/275w at 4/8 ohms. I bought mine brand new for $750 at Guitar Center.

If you want a cab too, I suggest still getting the same head and finding a used 4x10. I got my total rig (SVT3-PRO and SVT410HE) for $1150.

You also have to consider rack mounting.
    If you want all NEW gear for LESS than $1000, I would suggest a B2R and either SVT 4x10 or B-4x10.

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I think you should try the B2R. It is a very loud head. It's 350 watts in to 4 ohms. I had the SVT 3 PRO & IMO When ever I played the SVT 3 PRO side by side to a B2R, I always thought the B2R was louder.

I suggest you buy an SVT 410 HLF. It's a 4 ohm cab & will run the head to the full wattage. The only down side to this is if later on you want to use 2 cabs to use w/the head, you can't. You would have to buy 2 different 8 ohm cabs. (2x8 ohm cabs=4 ohm load)

4. 87octane_

87octane_ Guest

Jul 18, 2001
    Sumner, IL
    I've been trying to find the ampeg stuff cheaper, but everything's running just a little more than i wanna spend. What about Carvins? I've never heard one, but from their site, i can get a 4x10 bass cabinet and the Red Line Series III Bass Amp Head with a foot switch for about $970. That's without shipping, but it sounds like a good deal to me, unless they're just not any good. I really don't need anything too fancy for a band that's just starting out.

5. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I've seen a couple of guys on the Carvin bbs complaining that the Series III's thermal protection circuit tends to be a little oversensitive. Don't know if Carvin's corrected that problem or not.

6. Chuck Levin's Washington Music Center, best ampeg prices I ever found ! I purchased a Brand new in box B2r head for 389.00 plus 13 dollars S/H to my door in Michigan.

7. Also, with Ampegs, the list prices aren't set in stone. At Guitar Center the 3PRO was marked $900... I offered $600 (I knew I wouldn't pay that little) and worked up to $750 and was very happy with the deal. The used (brand new just returned for PRO cabs) Ampeg 410 I bought was marked $500 and I got it for $350. Just make offers, it works.

8. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Mesa/Boogie list prices, on the other hand, ARE set in stone. :(

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. I know it's crazy.. The other day I was at GC with my guitarist and they had a used (they don't carry Mesa normally) recto cab. The guy had to check with Mesa to see how low he could go with a USED cab.. Insane

10. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I picked up a returned ampeg BSE 410 HLF from the Musician's Friend retail store in KC, MO for 479, and I picked up an SWR 4004 Workingman head for a Soundgear 305... Well under a thousand for all of it, with enough room left over for extra cables, a rack rider, and a BBE 482.... The moral of the story? Look for the deals, and don't feel sorry for 'em when you get them... I felt bad for a while over the SWR-for-Ibanez Soundgear trade... But not anymore...