1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg, I think?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 87octane_, Aug 1, 2001.

1. 87octane_

87octane_ Guest

Jul 18, 2001
    Sumner, IL
    At the moment, I am using a 70 watt peavey combo amp (Bleah.), but I'd really like to break away from combos, since I've got a small band started. I've heard a lotta good things about Ampegs, and I've heard good things come FROM Ampegs. I really don't want anything much larger than say, 300-400 watts? I'm also kinda on a budget, so if you have any other, cheaper amp suggestions, I'm open. But anyway, I just kinda wanted someone to point me in the direction of a relatively cheap (under $1000) rig. Thanks.

2. The best choice for your price would be an SVT3-PRO. 450w/275w at 4/8 ohms. I bought mine brand new for $750 at Guitar Center.

If you want a cab too, I suggest still getting the same head and finding a used 4x10. I got my total rig (SVT3-PRO and SVT410HE) for $1150.

You also have to consider rack mounting.
    If you want all NEW gear for LESS than $1000, I would suggest a B2R and either SVT 4x10 or B-4x10.

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I think you should try the B2R. It is a very loud head. It's 350 watts in to 4 ohms. I had the SVT 3 PRO & IMO When ever I played the SVT 3 PRO side by side to a B2R, I always thought the B2R was louder.

I suggest you buy an SVT 410 HLF. It's a 4 ohm cab & will run the head to the full wattage. The only down side to this is if later on you want to use 2 cabs to use w/the head, you can't. You would have to buy 2 different 8 ohm cabs. (2x8 ohm cabs=4 ohm load)

4. 87octane_

87octane_ Guest

Jul 18, 2001
    Sumner, IL
    I've been trying to find the ampeg stuff cheaper, but everything's running just a little more than i wanna spend. What about Carvins? I've never heard one, but from their site, i can get a 4x10 bass cabinet and the Red Line Series III Bass Amp Head with a foot switch for about $970. That's without shipping, but it sounds like a good deal to me, unless they're just not any good. I really don't need anything too fancy for a band that's just starting out.

5. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I've seen a couple of guys on the Carvin bbs complaining that the Series III's thermal protection circuit tends to be a little oversensitive. Don't know if Carvin's corrected that problem or not.

6. Chuck Levin's Washington Music Center, best ampeg prices I ever found ! I purchased a Brand new in box B2r head for 389.00 plus 13 dollars S/H to my door in Michigan.

7. Also, with Ampegs, the list prices aren't set in stone. At Guitar Center the 3PRO was marked $900... I offered $600 (I knew I wouldn't pay that little) and worked up to $750 and was very happy with the deal. The used (brand new just returned for PRO cabs) Ampeg 410 I bought was marked $500 and I got it for $350. Just make offers, it works.

8. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Mesa/Boogie list prices, on the other hand, ARE set in stone. :(

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. I know it's crazy.. The other day I was at GC with my guitarist and they had a used (they don't carry Mesa normally) recto cab. The guy had to check with Mesa to see how low he could go with a USED cab.. Insane

10. pmkelly

pmkelly Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I picked up a returned ampeg BSE 410 HLF from the Musician's Friend retail store in KC, MO for 479, and I picked up an SWR 4004 Workingman head for a Soundgear 305... Well under a thousand for all of it, with enough room left over for extra cables, a rack rider, and a BBE 482.... The moral of the story? Look for the deals, and don't feel sorry for 'em when you get them... I felt bad for a while over the SWR-for-Ibanez Soundgear trade... But not anymore...