1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg Input Jack Issue

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sanwin17, Mar 13, 2018.

1. sanwin17

sanwin17 Please mommy, you just gotta buy this amplifier. Gold Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Highland Beach, FL
    I bought a used Ampeg PF-210HE Portaflex cab. I just noticed a brass plug of some kind in one of the input jacks. I can't remove it and have no idea what the purpose is. Ampeg is clueless about it thumbnail-2.jpeg as well. If anyone can shed light on this it would be appreciated. I can do without the humorous quips.
    Thanks

2. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Maybe an adaptor or cover or some kind? It doesn't screw off?

You said it's used, any way to contact the previous owner?

sanwin17 and The Chuck like this.
  3. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    I suspect that if you turn it counter clockwise, it will unscrew. To know for sure, you would have to remove the dish and inspect what is behind the panel.

No idea what it is. I know that it’s a hack. It could be a custom 1/4” plug locking mechanism; or a plug to prevent air from chuffing in and out of an unused jack; or an adapter for another plug size.

Whatever it is, you don’t need it.

punchclock, sanwin17 and BassmanPaul like this.
  4. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    My guess as well is that it's to eliminate whistling or noise, and that it will unscrew.

Agreed that you should see what it looks like from the inside before trying brute force. Also, if the jacks are closed pcb mounted type, there shouldn't be any funny noises anyway.

I'm curious.

sanwin17 likes this.
  5. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

That is familiar to me but for the life of me I cannot remember from when or where. I too expect that if you turn it anti clockwise it will detach. A pair of slip joint pliers used carefully might ease the removal.

sanwin17 likes this.
  6. 12BitSlab

12BitSlab Gold Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Liberty Township
    It's an antenna for a Star Trek Transporter. It allows you to easily move around on stage no matter how heavy your bass is.

Seriously, it looks like an adapter for a PC powered signal to be plugged in. I bet the previous owner used the amp to power recorded music and a bass for practice time.

sanwin17 likes this.
  7. sanwin17

sanwin17 Please mommy, you just gotta buy this amplifier. Gold Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Highland Beach, FL
    It doesn't screw off. The previous owner is GC. It's going back today. Also, this was built in 2013 and my PF-50T fit into the cab the whole concept of the Potaflex design. The ones built after 2013 were redesigned to accommodate the PF tube heads.

8. sanwin17

Jan 23, 2010
    Highland Beach, FL
    No. Bought it through GC. It's going back.

9. sanwin17

Jan 23, 2010
    Highland Beach, FL
    Not a PC plug. The center hole is threaded like something should screw in. Beam me up.

10. sanwin17

Jan 23, 2010
    Highland Beach, FL
    Me too.

11. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    I'd remove the jack plate just to see what the heck's going on.

sanwin17 likes this.
  12. sanwin17

Jan 23, 2010
    Highland Beach, FL
    I probably won't. But if I figure it out I'll let you know.

Crater likes this.
  13. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Come on bro! Where’s yer curiosity? :)

14. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Killed the cat

BassmanPaul likes this.
  15. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    FIFU Yel_wink.gif

agedhorse likes this.
  16. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

I left myself wide open for that one! :D

Edit: And Charlie it took me a while to work FIFU out I’m ashamed to say! :(

Passinwind likes this.
  17. sanwin17

Jan 23, 2010
    Highland Beach, FL
    Here it is, photos. It was removed by a GC tech. Looks like a simple plug that was either designed to or by coincidence fit the jack. The purpose I assume was to keep that jack from being used either because it was malfunctioning or they didn't want it daisy changed with another cab. Your guess is as good as mine. I returned it so I'll probably never know. fullsizeoutput_831.jpeg fullsizeoutput_833.jpeg fullsizeoutput_835.jpeg fullsizeoutput_837.jpeg

18. 12BitSlab

12BitSlab Gold Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Liberty Township
    You took back the famed "Brass Ring"?????? You could have had untold riches, my son.:thumbsup:

19. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    What a dumb-ass modification or add-on. Not something the manufacturer would have used.

sanwin17 likes this.
  20. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    What you have is a dummy plug. These are available in a better format from Neutrik.

Neutrik NDJ Dummy Plug (1/4") | Performance Audio

E0C33C03-D938-4560-B64B-ADCEFA62280E.jpeg

One purpose is to seal an unused jack so that air can not blow in and out. If you have a 4 ohm cab and the amp can not handle a lower impedance, it’s a reminder to not daisy chain.

sanwin17 and 12BitSlab like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021