Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg is officially annoying

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DigMe, Jan 13, 2004.

1. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    So I got the February issue of Bass Player yesterday with Justin Meldal-Johnson on the cover and I'm leafing through when I come across a couple of pages that seem really thick. I open them up and there is a big freaking folded up Ampeg poster in there...fine whatever...in the trash. Well then I start to remove it and I realize it's attached to the page with one of those page-long strips of sticky, rubbery snot-like substance. When all is said and done I finally got it all out after much scraping and rolling of the snot along with a piece of the page it was attached to. That's just taking the ad too far. Ads should be eye-catching, not intrusive. Blame goes to BP mag for this too since they allowed it.

Now if it had been a Fodera poster....

brad cook

2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Ampeg is to blame for current rubber cement technology?

Isn't NAMM this month? Wouldn't this be the month for serious advertising?

If these are the things that annoy you to the point of starting a thread about it, you should really count your blessings....

3. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    I know I'd been pretty ripped if an ad screwed up my magazine...

4. I'd pay extra to have Bass Player leave out ads, even if it's just the loose ones or cemented ones. I couldn't care less that the guy from Slipknot uses Peavey amps and I think the Ampeg thing is a waste. I don't see the benefit...or the point. Every bassist already knows what an Ampeg is. Huge waste of $ despite NAMM...

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    My page got torn taking the poster out...that's it, I will never buy another Ampeg product ever ;)

6. TheBassmeister

TheBassmeister

Nov 23, 2003
    Austin, TX
    The bull**** that pisses me off is that just about 70 percent of all the musician magazines are all product advertisements. Every other page is a picture of a lame gothic heavy metal **** posing with a horrible guitar and a horrible rig. It makes me actually angry to see all the pages wasted by these ads. Save the trees, eat a beaver.

Edited by Moderator for profanity and offensive comments

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yes, the rubber cement thing was my point exactly. :rolleyes:

Believe me, I do count my blessings. Does my thread annoy you to the point of posting in it?

brad cook

8. that glue stuff is cool,I would like to subscribe to BP mag:)

Ampeg sucks...IMO

9. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Nope. Slow day at work. :D

10. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I was killin' time in a bookstore once when I picked up "National Lampoon". (Yes, I'm that old!) and the reply card fell out. So, being a decent samaritian, I reached to to pick it up, it said on it:

"Are you annoyed by all those damned cards that fall out of our magazine? SUBSCRIBE ALREADY!"

11. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    On a positive note, the Justin Meldal-Johnsen article (which I was able to read despite the holes ripped out of it) was pretty darn good.

brad cook

12. I liked it. It now serves as a poster in my room. I don't really care about the rubber glue. Is that all you complain about? Look at the postive. At least it wasn't covered in acid! :)

13. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yours wasn't?

brad cook

14. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    Mine came out without a problem, and my magazine is still intact. :D

15. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    i like ampeg and i wouldnt mind a free ampeg poster to put on my wall

16. Mine came out with NO problem whatsoever.

Did ya see the NEW Ampeg goodies???? SVT-CL preamp, SVP-1600 power amp, Ampeg DI box...:bassist:

17. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Positive: An ad in BP that you can take out & never look at again!!!!!!

Negitive: Damn snot glue can tear paper!!!!!

18. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    :D

brad cook

19. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    He's under age.

[​IMG]

Mine came with.... ;)

20. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I gotta say it is pretty annoying- I get several car magazines, and they are the worst perpetrators. Every month it's some MINI foldout or Silverado pop-up book. Trivial? Yes. Irskome? Fo shizzle.