ampeg is the cheapest of the highend?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MCBTunes, Dec 28, 2005.

1. Or middle-high class I suppose.... basically... I want to know around ampeg's price range what else is there? Aguilar I guess... but what else...ampeg is ~500 and mesa, eden, schroder are all around 800.... Anything else to look at?
  2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I personally wouldn't consider Ampeg "high end" or the same class as Aguilar, but to each his own.

It really has nothing to do with "class", just what suits your application and price range.
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    eric do you think aguilar is better or worse than ampeg?
  4. sounds to me like he means worse...
  5. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    There's really no subsitute for listening.
    All the stuff you listed in your original post may be "same price point," but are all very definately different flavors.
    Seems like you're talking about speakers since you're including Schroeder.
    Take your bass, and your head to a few local music stores, and try some stuff out. You'll regret it if you don't.
  6. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Or the highest of the cheapend?

High end versus low end is pure marketing. There are turds and treasures at both ends.
  7. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
  8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Well, if you're talking cabs, I'm always surprised to see Ampeg cabs going for more than Bergantino's.

9. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place

Great stuff, for a good price. Beats good stuff for an inflated price any day. The only amps with a solid state power section I'd buy.
  10. It's all about what you like I guess, One cannot say ampeg is bad, they are consistent (at least the one I played) and well made with good options. wether or not you like the tone is up to you.

it also depend on the aplication, for me the best rock tones I heard live were from ampegs... that's why I own a svt4+a svt6x10 it's the tone I always wanted since I started to play bass.

People tend to call a brand crap just because the tone is not their cup of tea, in the end it's about your ears...
  11. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

+ 1 ...
    the Bergantino NV series might be just what your really looking for ...