Ampeg + Kubicki = Rubbish

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by heath_the_great, May 10, 2004.

1. Well today i finally brought it to myself to try out some ampeg gear with my kubicki and i was utterly utterly let down, b2r, b5r and svt pro 4 can, well go away from me.....i got no idea what it was it just sounded like mud and a can of whipped dog poo....just a 'little' over priced too, considering the sound i was getting from the SWR Workingmans 8004 T/O/P and goliath III which was great sounding just at flat eq, with heaps more power and at $4000aus for the two, or a workingmans tower 8x10 at the same price, while a b5r and a svt 4x10 was going to cost almost $5000aus......has anyone else noticed the poor sound of ampeg? or is it just me.....has anyone liked swr over ampeg?
  2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

This is the phenomenon known as subjectivity - or, one man's warm and rounded tone, is another man's "dull and muddy" !! ;)
  3. warm and rounded?, it sounded like it was dulling my strings and was distorting with the gain on about 4 and my bass on about 5 :confused: , IMO is was trying to color my sound to much, the swr was nice, bright, low and punchy, didn't distort until the gain was at about 8 and my bass at about the same, and had enough power to fill the store at about 5 on master and gain...large store...
  4. kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    I agree with Bruce on subjectivity. Since you favor the SWR sound, I would imagine Ampeg would sound muddy to your ears. Many Ampeg fans find SWR, Eden, et. al. "sterile" or "too clean" while the SWR and Eden crowd find the sound accurate and transient.

It's a "good for the goose" scenario. Ampeg sells plenty of their units to players that like that sound, as does SWR, Eden and all of the others. Variety guarantees we all won't love everything, yet we all have a better chance of finding something we do like. Good luck finding your tone.
  5. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    I don't like the "Ampeg Sound". I've got a SVT-3 Pro that kills. If you push in the "Ultra-Lo" button, you'd probably get a sound you like. I use mine with an Eden 4x10... they work well together.
  6. vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    Ya got to go with the tubes!!! The SVT CL is a monster although it is not bright and clean like SWR. I love my SVT but one mans Crate is another mans Eden. Have you played through EBS? I have heard they are very clean.... :bassist:
    Keeping the Funk alive on Freemont for another Hundred Years..... :ninja:
  7. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I feel the same way as Heath_the_Great, I had a BA-115 then B-2r, with SVT-410HE and SVT-115E. My B-2r crapped out so I went looking for a new head, all the ampegs I tried were god awful. I tried GK then SWR, the SWR 750x sounded great but it was clipping at a moderate eq so I was weary. I then came accross the Mesa Boogie M-Pulse 300 and I just was a dream come true! :). Long story short I bought the Mesa Boogie M-Pulse 600 and awaiting either buying a Warwick FNA Jazzman 4 or Mesa Boogie Powerhouse 1000.
  8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I wasn't saying that was your situation - I was just giving an example - I have no idea what it sounded like for you - but it's obvious you have just discovered that tone is subjective!! There is no best tone - just what people like and different people like different tones!! ;)

This is one reason why you must always try before you buy, or waste your money - loads of people like Trace Eliiot stuff but I hate the sound - old tube amps always sound dull and distorted to me - but some people love them and will go on about how great they are - but unless you try the gear, you will never know whether you like it or not - no matter how much is written/read on a forum like this!!

To me this is the great irony of this forum - as people go on about different amps and what should I buy and discuss at great length - but really all that matters is what sounds good to you!!
  9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I agree with The Bruce. F'r instance so many musicians ask, "what is the best ______?" It's an impossible question to answer. Those who ask are trying to simplify a very complex decision, which is somewhat understandable. But as stated, the only true answer is, "whichever one YOU like best".

P.S. Try reducing input gain on the B2R (use the -15dB switch or Active input jack if either exist), and then turn up the master volume.
  10. Agreed. Discussion is a good thing and can be extremely helpful, especially when technical aspects are adressed. But when it comes to sound, nobody else can act as your ears. Talking about our sensory perceptions will always be vague and subjective; we can never give exact and universal meanings to "warm" or "punchy" or any other adjective; everyone has their own subjective definition for those terms.

Now that doesn´t mean we shouldn´t discuss sound. But it is important to acknowledge that no amount of talk will replace the first-hand experience. A while ago I gave some advice in a thread concerning a moderately priced setup. My suggestions were very well received; the thread starter said he would probably buy the gear I recommended. I was of course happy to help, but I must say I was also a bit worried, thinking: "Have I gone too far". I just hope the guy likes the stuff and if he doesn´t, he won´t blame me. :bag:

And ´bout Ampeg. I´m not a fan either. But I guess I´m in the minority. To each of his own.