Ampeg: Lets talk about it

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Guy Dupree, Feb 15, 2004.

1. Guy Dupree

Guy Dupree

Jan 22, 2004
    Memphis TN
    I have recently purchased an Ampeg B4R and the SVT 610hlf mono/bridged. I use an active 5 string Washburn RB-2500. Will it handle the low end, will I be satisfied. I have one month to decide (the 30 day return policy). I am still messing with the levels and knobs. I had used a combo for a few years and decided to go for the old head/cab thing.

That brings me to the bigger picture: There is a lot of great gear out there, most of the time which we can't afford, but right now I would like to hear as much feed back on Ampeg gear and combonations.

Thank You
  2. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Will you be satisfied? Only you can answer that question, we can only guess as to whether the rig might suit your needs, if we knew what those needs were. Are you in a band? What kind of music? WHere do you play? DO you own a car?
  3. I think you'll notice a big difference in going from a combo to a 6x10 setup. In my 30 some odd years of bar bands and big gigs I've never needed more than 4x10's or 2x15's. But, that's me and I don't know your situation or needs. I can only say that if your combo was sorta doing the job or at least getting you by your new rig should really get it done.
    Ampeg has a distinctive sound that a lotta people either love or hate. I happen to be one of those who like it's sound.
    Good luck.
  4. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    great combination. Handled the low B just fine. Had to get rid of the 610 because it was a pain to move around. I would suggest getting a padded cover for it because the tolex comes off very easily. As far as the sound of that rig goes, IMO it would be hard to beat.
  5. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    thats the setup i have right now. movable but big and loud as...well its loud. It works out really well for me. Ampeg does a good job of getting that sound for me, but that sound is different to everyone.
  6. Guy Dupree

Guy Dupree

Jan 22, 2004
    Memphis TN
    Thank you for your responses. I am becoming more accostomed to the setup. It is just that the quest for tone is never ending. What do you all think about using active basses with an all tube head. Maybe one of the SVT's or any other for that matter. Do they size up well together or does the pre-amp in the active bass hinder some of the warmth and tonal possibilities of the all tube amp. Just a thought.
  7. I didn't like the sound of a Dingwall Voodoo 5-string through my vintage svt. I found that it sounds best with a passive fender 4-string. But the bright input on the vintage svt (I think that it is just a lower output) will accomadate a high output active bass best.
  8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I think you have a really good set up!!!!
    I'd really like to get an SVT-610HLF but I have an SVT-410HLN that I've been using with (when needed) a Carvin RL210 cab.