1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg Liquifier Chorus

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bassmike62, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph provider Supporting Member

I'm quite intrigued by this dual chorus thing and that blend knob makes it even more interesting, so I ordered one after listening to a few videos. I always liked the chorus effect on Rod Stewart's Passion and this could get me close to it.

I don't see this pedal often around these parts... any users out there ?

Ampeg Liquifier Analog Chorus Pedal

JimmyM likes this.
  2. Frodolicious

Frodolicious Supporting Member

May 29, 2018
    Omaha, NE
    I was considering one for awhile, but went in a different direction. It sounded great in demos though! I'm sure itll be a good one

Bassmike62 likes this.
  3. I considered one, but I read somewhere around here they were noisy.....or maybe just a loud clicking footswitch pop. I don't recall exactly how. The demos sound great. Maybe someone with first hand experience will chime in.

eriky4003 and Bassmike62 like this.
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I was supposed to get it and the compressor, but just as they came out, Ampeg got sold to Yamaha, and I didn't want to hassle Dino about it because he had his hands full just getting Yamaha back up and running with Ampeg.

5. Bassmike62

Oh crap, I missed that... I got rid of an MXR BCD just because of a loud clicking noise.
    :banghead::banghead::banghead:

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I have a BCD, and at worst, it clicks one time when I first power it up, and then it's fine.

7. Don't let me turn you off of them! I have no direct experience with this unit, but I bet someone will jump in who has a little play time on the liquifier!

Bassmike62 likes this.
  8. Bassmike62

No worries :). Anyway, the BCD might have a reacted to whatever else was in the chain at time. It should be here Wednesday, so I'll know soon enough :)

mattbass6945 likes this.
  9. I've got serious GAS for a Providence Anadime bass chorus, but my wallet hates me right now.

10. Bassmike62

Pricey indeed... can't go there myself at this time. Especially since I have absolutely no need for chorus right now :)

11. That being said, I have a MXR micro chorus that's great. I've just been wanting something slightly different. It's a pretty great little chorus and pretty cheap if you can find a used one!

Bassmike62 likes this.
  12. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New York
    I know chorus doesn't work for me. Yet whenever I see something new, I feel like I have to give it a shot :rollno:

BrentSimons and Bassmike62 like this.
  13. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    I’m curious to see some hands-on reviews too. I love chorus and I’m always excited about new ones.

gregmon79 and Bassmike62 like this.
  14. tbird46553

tbird46553 Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2012
    North Central IN
    I like mine more than any other chorus I've had. I haven't had it long enough to fiddle with it a lot. Yes it does have a loud pop when you kick it in, but I think I can live with it. IMHO

Bassmike62 likes this.
  15. What other choruses have you gone through, just out of curiosity?

Bassmike62 likes this.
  16. VTBass

VTBass

Nov 16, 2018
    Athens, Greece
    I have the same issue with several pedals. I have an MXR Bass Compressor at the start of my signal chain and it somehow seems to negate this unpleasing effect.

I get this click now only when I activate the Compressor and not anything else down the chain

Bassmike62 likes this.
  17. matante

matante

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    FYI, almost all chorus pedals have a blend knob, but they are often labeled effect level, intensity, mix, etc.

Bassmike62 likes this.
  18. chowny, Bassmike62 and CapnSev like this.
  19. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Is that pop sometimes an electrical thing? Like there is a built up charge in one of the components, and that causes the pop? You can click it a few times to discharge the stored charge and it will go away?

I might be totally making that up, but I feel like I've read that somewhere, and maybe even that I had a pedal a long time ago where this was the case. Maybe someone who knows what there are talking about will chime in.

I generally don't like chorus, but It's kind of cool with bass and can add a little something to a song used in the right place. Cool blended with a heavier distortion too.

I had the big EQD Sea Machine, and man that was a cool pedal (outer space cool). Also had an Ibanez CS9 (the light purple one). It was too "80's" for my taste. Sold it to a guitar player who was after that Mac Demarco sound.

Just got an EBS Tremolo pedal, and it has a "filter" setting which - unknown to me - sounds a lot like a chorus, but without the pitch modulation. Pretty cool and kind of solves my chorus for people who don't like chorus problem.

The ampeg looks nice - very simple classic design.

Bassmike62 and HolmeBass like this.
  20. I purchased the Ampeg Liquifier first as a chorus but claimed it could do flanger effect (which was what I wanted). I took my chorus pedal out of my pedalboard at practice and when engaging the pedal it made a huge pop sound and every time I re-engaged. Took it home, wrote to Ampeg and received advice to keep clicking on it and it should dissipate but it did not so I returned it. Too bad, the chorus sound was quite rich. If they have fixed this pop in further assembly of this pedal, I believe you will be one happy customer. As for me, I re-installed my old chorus and purchased a dedicated flanger.

Bassmike62 and BrentSimons like this.