Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg: Loud enough?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lenoiser, Sep 7, 2000.

1. Lenoiser

Lenoiser

Sep 7, 2000
    I need to get over a 100 watt Marshall JCM 900. I have my eye on an ampeg SVT 300 with a Trace Elliot valve pre-amp. Would this suffise (my current solid state 300 watt Trace Elliot (7 band equalizer) does not do the trick)?

2. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    How ya doing Lenoiser Welcome to Talkbass.
    I have a Ampeg SVT3 and it suits my situation just fine but it is a little decieving with its power rating, Don't get me wrong its a beautiful sounding amp and I have had no reliability problems Ampeg is great stuff but if I was to do it again I think I would go with something with a little more power maybe the SVT4 or the classic SVT 300. I hope this helps you out, I'm sure your gonna get a few reply's there's a few of us Ampeg users around here.

3. Hi Lenoiser,

Without knowing what you run for speakers I'd suggest looking into adding another cabinet to your Trace before you drop some dollars on a new amp. My 300 watt Trace 1x15 combo with a 2x10 is VERY loud. I have no problems being heard. In fact, I'm often asked to turn down the volume if anything. The issue might not be the amp. You need to move more air! Those Ampeg's are really nice though.......

4. Lenoiser

Lenoiser

Sep 7, 2000
    Hi there Zoomboy and Funkster,

I'd like to thank you both for your replies. Zoomboy, what kind of Trace Eliott do you play?

I shall certainly keep the SVT 4 in mind, Funkster, as I am going to test various Ampegs, Peaveys, SWR's tomorrow.

The main problem I find with Ampeg is that it only gets loud 10 yards away from the amp. But since I never play anything bigger than pubs or small festivals, I'd like it if I had some volume right where I'm playing. Ampegs are expensive objects in Europe. I'd like sound and output at the same time. Do you have any further experiences or suggestions?

Kind regards.

Lenoiser.

5. reel big bassist

reel big bassist

Mar 27, 2000
    Maryland
    Dear Lenoiser,

I agree with zoom boy, you might want to look into adding
    another cabinet. If you don't want to lug 2 cabinets around you could always buy a 4 ohm cabinet.

About the ampeg SVT 300. Are you talking about the
    power amp with 6 power tubes in it? If you are I have
    one and belive me it is plenty loud. With one of these
    it's not the volume you have to worry about it's if your speakers can take it. I put a peavey t.b.raxx preamp on top of this 2(12ax7) and it sounds great.

Hook the svt-300 up to a 4ohm load and you'll see what I mean. The first time I tested it was with a hartke 4x10 and
    another cabinet I don't remember. Let me tell you the Hartke's speakers were jumpin.

I think this is the best amp purchase I ever made. Because now I got all the power I need, and if I want to have different sounds I can use different preamps. I would highly suggest this power amp. Be aware my opinion is extreemly biased, I just love this power amp.

One thing to do before you take it on the road, is to look in the back of the amp when you turn it on. If some tubes are running hotter than the others, the amp has to be re-biased.
    I had to get mine re-biased. It's no big deal. It's a good idea to take it to a tech, even if eveything looks good. It just gives you piece of mind, ya know.

Good Luck,
    Greg P

P.S. I was reading a web site that had a f.a.q. about tube amps. It said never turn a tube amp on without connecting Speakers to it. Just thought I'd tell you.

6. Lenoiser

Lenoiser

Sep 7, 2000
    Thank you. I'll this to heart too.

Lenoiser
    Belgium

7. Lenoiser,

My Trace is a 1215SMX combo (300 watts, 12 band EQ, blendable tube/solid state preamp, 15" speaker). I believe that the power amp is the same in the 7 band Trace. What are you running for cabinets?

8. Why not try out the Mesa/Boogie Bass 400+? lots of power to spare, too bad its expensive. But I love mine. Still I am not too objective.. cause i love it.. erhhmm ;)

9. timv

timv Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Chandler, AZ
    Mesa Man. I was just curious. Do you like your 400+? I'm glad you found an amp that makes you this happy that you keep plugging it in every thread you can. It is a nice head though. Especially w/ a nice cabinet. It's not all that expensive compared to other all tube bass heads around.

10. rmp5s

rmp5s

May 19, 2000
    There's a Ampeg 8x10 that I see EVERY pro using (on MTV, in concerts, etc.) that is rumored to be one of the loudest single cabs. I got the chance to play one and it's 2x15 sibling and I can vouch for that loudness thing. They should put a disclaimer on it!!!! Only prob.....REALLY expensive.

11. gmstudio99

gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I don't suppose getting your guitar player to play at a volume that doesn't cause ears to bleed would be an option, right?

I mean, really, why do some guitar players think that just because they have 100 watts at their disposal that they must use every single one of them?

I play in a pop band with a 100 watt Ampeg and it's just fine because we all keep very consistant control over over stage and FOH volume.

-GM

12. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Paul, you need another cup of coffee my friend! :D

13. gmstudio99

gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    LOL :D...yeah, it is WAY to early for this, isn't it?

-GM

14. Hans

Hans

Sep 10, 2000
    I'm using an SVT300 and V Type Preamp with a
    Peavey 810TX. I have no trouble being heard over both guitarists (JCM900 and Peavey 5150 with 4x12 cabs).

The Ampeg power amp and Trace Elliot preamp work really well together. It makes for a much warmer sound than an SVT2Pro and is more versatile than a Trace Elliot V6, due to it being rackmounted.

All in all, a very good choice, although you may need to look at your cabs

15. Lenoiser

Lenoiser

Sep 7, 2000
    Hi Hans,

The SVT300 + Trace Elliot V type pre-amp is most likely the set-up I'm going to buy this Friday. Would a Peavy be the best cabinet to your experience?

All the best.

Lenoiser
    Belgium

16. Hans

Hans

Sep 10, 2000
    Good choice!

I've used various cab setups, mostly Peavey. The 810TX is the most powerful and warm cab I've ever used.

I've nothing but good words to say about Peavey cabs. The only downside to them is the size and weight. If you're concerned about price, then definitely give the Peavey a look. If money is no object, at least try the new Trace Elliot V-Type 8x10 or maybe a SWR Megoliath.

At the end of the day. Whatever make you decide to buy, I am confident in saying that you will get the best results from an 8x10.

Happy Shopping

17. Erhmm Yes Timv, i love it. (the amp that is) but they are expensive here.

18. Tube heads rule! :] If it's a half stack you'll have no problem but if it's a full stack you might want to get some plexiglass, too. Cage your drummer and you'll never have a problem, again.

19. timv

timv Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Chandler, AZ
    I have an Nemesis 8x10 made by eden that works really well. It only weighs about 100 pounds so it is easier to move around than others. I've used it w/ a Mesa 400+, Ampeg SVT II and now an Ampeg SVT from around 77'. They all sounded loud and deep and powerful through this cabinet. I got it for a decent price used also. Just another 8x10 option.