1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg Love

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jason Hollar, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    image-3882294463.

Nothing makes me feel more like a rock star than an Ampeg stack provided in the backline. Classic 300 watt tube head, SVT 810e cab, Beta 52 mic.

Sick.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Got a newish SVT-CL and 410he supplied on my gig tonight in Hershey Park, too. Awesome!

3. Jason Hollar

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    How fun! I'm from Hershey - have a great gig!

4. RootNoteRadical

RootNoteRadical

Dec 8, 2011
    The mother of all bass rigs! It's a beautiful thing.....

5. Jason Hollar

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    A beautiful thing indeed. The pre & master were only on "3" and it was more thumpin' than I've ever had with any of my rigs. Even the open G was super fat - and it's only a .40!

6. What are your "go to" settings? Or starting off point?

7. Jason Hollar

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    The bass boost button was engaged - and the low & hi EQ were boosted slightly. It was already set for the headliner (Smithereens) so I did the polite thing and didn't touch nothin'! Didn't have to!

8. paparoof

paparoof Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Minneapolis
    fEARful koolaid drinker
    Did you run a DI as well or was the 52 the only thing running to the board?

9. RootNoteRadical

RootNoteRadical

Dec 8, 2011
    I absolutely love the tone of my SVT CLASSIC STACK! I run my gain about 7, bass 5, midrange 4, mid freq. 4, treble 7 and the HI boast engaged. I love it so much I am close to pulling the trigger on another 810e!

10. Jason Hollar

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    I'm sure there was also a line out to the house - if there's one on the back of the head somewhere...

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    There is a DI on the back of the head.

12. wow thats quite the mid scoop. You are a good man for not changing those settings, I would have. :D

13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I'm going to have to try that on mine, but I don't recall that setting being so much of a mid scoop. But then again, if you listen to Smithereens records, it does sound sort of mid scoopy.

14. RSNG

RSNG

Sep 6, 2010
    I love mine, too. I usually have the bass boost on, mids in the middle, and turn up some bass and treble. I don't think you could make this thing sound bad, if you tried. This amp makes me very aware of how my touch and playing style influence my tone. It's very expressive.

Mine is semi retired now. I'm mostly playing one nighters in bars these days, and I move my gear by myself. So, I'm using a SVT3 pro, and 4x10. It sounds good, after I finally figured it out (thanks to the guys on this forum!). But, it's just not the same.

When I was in my 20s (30 years ago), I would not have even thought about using anything else but my SVT and Fender Precision.

15. BIG +1 On all these posts!!

Nothing and I say again - NOTHING - sounds quite like that big 'ol slice of heaven!!

wildman2 likes this.
  16. Jason Hollar

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    Sadly, at this point in my career I don't see myself owning an SVT stack. Shoulda done it years ago. However, I also played through a backline Ampeg 410HLF with an SWR SM900. I was really impressed with that cab - I could see myself with one of those someday.

17. RootNoteRadical

RootNoteRadical

Dec 8, 2011
    I had the HLF 410 it is a big cab too, to me a little more awkward to roll and move than the 810e. The 810e is very heavy but tilt it back and it is pretty easy to move, but 2 people are needed to lift the beast as you would with the HLF.

18. RSNG

RSNG

Sep 6, 2010
    I have a BSE410HLF. I think it weighs around 90 lbs. I took off the little casters that it came with. They got stuck in sidewalk cracks! I put on some some big rubber wheels that I ordered from Carvin.

I load it in my van the same way that I used to load my 8x10. Put a blanket over the bumper, lean in over, pick up the bottom, and slide it in. I can lift it up a couple of stairs, or onto most bar stages.

I think the SVT head weighs 80 or 90 lbs. I used to lift mine off the floor, and put it on top of the 8x10. I probably still can, but I'm not risking my back! The SVT3 pro is 26 lbs.

19. Jason Hollar

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    I think the trick would be simply getting a gig where the Ampeg backline is stipulated in the contract - problem solved! LOL

20. c4muzik

c4muzik

Dec 31, 2006
    Boston, MA
    I have one of those. Sounds great but a pain to move around. Would have made more sense with 4 casters instead of having to tilt it back. Never understood why they would design a 4X10 that way.