Ampeg Micro Cl Mini Combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Angel Rabbit, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Angel Rabbit

Angel Rabbit

Mar 26, 2019
    Hi, good morning,honored to be part of Talk Bass community. My name is Angel, my friends call me Rabbit, i recently bought the amp in question and i have noticed there is a hiss noise coming from it even when no instrument is connected. When using pedals sometimes it worsens, my compressor helps but, the issue baffles me sometimes, i will try another power outlet and try the ground connections between them (link them together) and will update the results, my instruments are passive Fender and Squier. Im feeding the amp on the -15 db input jack. Thanks in advance for any input and/or your time friend.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Hey Rabbit, what are your tone settings? Boosting highs will increase the noise floor as well, and that can come across hissy. Otherwise I'm not all that familiar with the Micro CL and wouldn't know what to tell you.

AstroSonic likes this.
  3. Angel Rabbit

Angel Rabbit

Mar 26, 2019
    I apreciate your advice, thanks!

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Welcome to TalkBass!!!!!

What Jimmy said. Make sure the highs aren't cranked. Lots of amps (particularly ones with a tweeter) will hiss at you with the highs dimed.

Angel Rabbit likes this.
  5. Angel Rabbit

Angel Rabbit

Mar 26, 2019
    Thanks my friend!

6. vinnydbass

vinnydbass

Feb 4, 2008
    Toronto
    Use the 0db input for passive basses. You will get more out of them if you plug into the regular input, and possibly lower the noise floor. To be honest, I never use a padded input, even for active basses. They just seem to degrade the harmonic content whenever I use them.

Also, if you are plugging into a power bar or outlet that is being shared by a TV, lamp, another amp, your pedalboard etc, you could be getting noise from a ground loop. Try a different outlet if the problem persists. My amps can get noisy if im using an occupied outlet.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    Angel Rabbit likes this.
  7. Angel Rabbit

Angel Rabbit

Mar 26, 2019
    Alright I'll do that too, it makes a lot of sense since unity level should give better signal to noise ratio indeed, thanks Vinny! Aprecciated.

8. Angel Rabbit

Angel Rabbit

Mar 26, 2019
    Hey in fact, that is my case I have a TV set sharing the outlet with it, i don’t know how missed this detail, I’ll get back to you. Thanks man!

9. Briton

Briton

Apr 4, 2009
    London,England
    Plug your amp and cab into a another socket in another room. Don't use an extension chord just the amp straight into the socket. If you get no hiss you know the amp/cab is ok and it will be down to the environment (other electrical items) where you originally plugged in.Obviously this might not be the fix but that is where I would start if I was trying to eliminate the problem.

Angel Rabbit likes this.
  10. Angel Rabbit

Angel Rabbit

Mar 26, 2019
    Thanks a lot Briton, I was about to try the Amp with an ext ☺️ Thanks! I’ll do that too!

11. nilorius

nilorius Inactive

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    You mean no instrument connected, but does a cable, to instrument, is in ?

12. Angel Rabbit

Angel Rabbit

Mar 26, 2019
    Yeah no instrument or cable connected. thanks for your time and the rest of the gentlemen who took some of their valuated time to help resolve this problem. Here is what i just did, i moved the amp to another room and plug it with no other appliances or equipment sharing it,no extension cord plugged into Unity (0db) jack and im im love with the results, i plugged both of my J bass's with no issues even with the tone favoring the high end. The P Bass's pass the test,too now i will connect the Fly rig and the EHX Platform comp. we should be in the ball park. Thanks again Gentlemen. Rabbit

wintremute, ThinCrappyTone and JimmyM like this.
  13. Angel Rabbit

Angel Rabbit

Mar 26, 2019
    Thanks to Talk Bass specially.

14. nilorius

nilorius Inactive

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    Well, this is done.

15. Angel Rabbit

Angel Rabbit

Mar 26, 2019
    Yup, thanks to you... All

Clutchcargo likes this.
  16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 25, 2022