1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg Micro VR dying, buy an Orange crush 100?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by outoftune, Dec 10, 2017.

1. outoftune

outoftune Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Yep, my VR is slowly giving up the ghost. Not sure what it is but it will lose volume until I knock it around a bit then it come back to life.
    I really like the sound of this thing but am thinking maybe I'll let it go and get an Orange 100 watt combo. Not sure.
    Anyone played both and prefer the Orange over the Ampeg?
    I could get the Ampeg head and cab then have a 410 I suppose. Wish the Orange had a 210 version

I'm just thinking out loud :)

2. Does the volume loss happen with headphones too?

Have you tried linking the Send and Return sockets of the Effects Loop with a signal cable?

3. outoftune

Nov 30, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    When I got it, used, the limiter didn’t work. Over time the volume started cutting. Sometimes with some crackling.

4. I’m trying to help here but I need you to answer my questions in order to do so. :)

Steve-Mo and Lobster11 like this.
  5. outoftune

Nov 30, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    No, have not done anything that you suggested :)

6. Then try the Effects Loop patch.

7. outoftune

Nov 30, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Nothing.

8. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    orange is really chasing the class A/B vibe and even still using iron core transformers in some units. usually lower powered combos.
    i haven't played a crush yet but been wanting too, likewise some other orange heads. add copy that reads..."simplest signal chain on the market"
    is my cup of tea. eliminated effects loops and other senseless garbage alot players dont care for.
    Ive gotten pretty nice tone with small 100 watt solid states. a laughable secret on here im sure by many. but whatever. good tone is good tone.

Orange had bad luck with class D failures and almost ruined the company's bass reputation. think their done with ice pooper modules and everywhere on the site is littered with analog and class AB praises and simple classic straight forward signal chains.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
    outoftune likes this.
  9. outoftune

Nov 30, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    I would really love to try out the Crush 100 and compare to the Ampeg micro. The micro is a super sweet little set up and I can get the head and cab to end up with a 200 watt head and 410. In comparison, the orange is 100 watts and a 115. Decisions.

10. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    just get the 300 watt OB1-300 or the combo version its loaded with eminence neo

likewise endless much more well known reliable workhorses on used market ranging from 200 to 400 watts

4x10 or 2x15 in generalized manner is roughly same output sound pressure wise whatever floats your boat. OB1 with 2 matching 1x15s be sweet rig

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
    Aqualung60 likes this.
  11. Member8675309

Member8675309 Banned

Aug 19, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    I bought an Orange Crush 25 back in June. I’ve never used Orange before, I usually stick with Ampeg, but figured I’d give them a shot. Its only a small practice amp, and wouldn’t begin to compare it to my Ampeg, but I would easily give my money to the people at Orange if I ever felt like moving rigs or buying another. It’s a mean sounding, grinding, but well rounded tone. When it comes to low wattage amps, smaller combos....I’d go Orange.

Edit: A “Boxy” character isn’t too far from accurate. I turn my mids way down, crank the treble way up, keep the bass at 2 o’clock. That seems to greatly hinder the “boxy” character of the Crush series in regards to the 25.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
    outoftune likes this.
  12. Hey, this IS TB, so isn't everyone supposed to insist on him getting an SVT?
    Jimmy? ;)

Son of Wobble, outoftune and Loring like this.
  13. n1as

n1as

Mar 29, 2013
    @outoftune, have you tried this?

It is possible your amp is easily fixed. If you want to buy an Orange feel free, but if you like the Ampeg it may be worth a bit to restore it health, or at least to get an official diagnosis.

Loring likes this.
  14. outoftune

Nov 30, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    I will probably get in touch with Ampeg and see if they have had similar issues with these amps. It's like something is loose. If you move it, it crackles then the volume goes down. Give it a swift smack and it usually come back to life.
    I'm going to check out the Orange 100 after work today.

CaseyVancouver likes this.
  15. edencab

edencab

Aug 14, 2013
    Toronto, On
    play/try the Crush 1st......I found them to be a bit weak and boxy sounding.......I love my TB 500 head though......

outoftune and steamthief like this.
  16. CaseyVancouver

CaseyVancouver

Nov 4, 2012
    The Orange Crush 100 has a 15" speaker which should sound great as a practise amp. Orange amps always look cool. I doubt it will be the choice for gigs.

I have a Crush 35b, it's 35 watts with 12" speaker. Boxy is actually an appropriate description for it's sound, as in kicking a cardboard box around the room. It sits beside a GK mb112 II, 200 watts with 12" speaker. The GK blows away the Orange in every way except looks. Sound wise they just are not comparable.

I would try to fix the Ampeg.

If the Orange 100 sounds awesome both amps look like a great choice for a not loud practise room. These combo's are just not the same as the full size real thing.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  17. mattattack187

mattattack187 Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Ellsworth, ME
    I own the VR and the Crush 100. It doesn't take much to get the Crush LOUD! Someone mentioned above it can be boxy sounding, I guess it depends on the room, etc. However I do usually find myself boosting the mids around the 800-1000 range and adding a little treble boost for more clarity. The Overdrive section is cool but I almost never use it. Blend at 7 o'clock, Gain at 7 for a subtle "creamy" overdrive.

outoftune and edencab like this.
  18. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    These are the classic symptoms of a worn out volume control. Should be a relatively simple and inexpensive repair for an amp tech to perform. Your local amp tech should be able to give you a 'ballpark' price for this repair.

CaseyVancouver and outoftune like this.