1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg Micro Vr failure

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by squire65, Sep 29, 2016.

1. squire65

squire65

Sep 22, 2013
    Italy
    Hi all... Got a problem with my beloved Micro Vr head. I have not been using it for about two months... Yesterday I plugged my bass in and the sound i got was a fuzzish tone. It sounded like a fuzz pedal was engaged... The pre sezione is ok, as it sounds good with headphones... Only when i play with cabinets it fuzzes!

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Try sticking an instrument cable in between the effects loops jacks. If it clears up, clean them with Deoxit or by running a plug in and out of them quickly a few times, as they got corroded. If that doesn't work, try calling Ampeg CS and see what they have to say.

Cirk and MrCash like this.
  3. charelroi

charelroi

Sep 2, 2013
    I have my Ampeg Micro VR (+ 2x SVT 210 cabs) for allmost 4 years now, and suddenly it makes a "fuzz noise"... I first thought it where the cabs, but even when I connect a headphone directly, it makes the same hum and noise...
    So I send it to the reseller and he called me that the head was working normally and they couldn't find anything wrong... They have been testing for half an hour without problems... Dàmned, I don 't like this.
    I asked to do some more tests to be shure and now I'm waiting for an answer.
    Must be the electronics, no?

4. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Most amps this happens from the effects loop jack contacts getting dirty

charelroi likes this.
  5. charelroi

charelroi

Sep 2, 2013
    Even if I don 't use the the effects loop jack? (I never used them...)
    So, I have to figure it out... Anyway, thanks for your reply!! :bassist:

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Especially if you don't use the loop jacks. Corrosion can build up in them over time and cause this particular issue.

pcake and charelroi like this.
  7. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Yes especially if you never use them. When you have the lid off, or in this case the VR chassis slid-out from the wooden cabinet, you'll see that these contact points in the jacks are simply a flat plate just touching the narrow edge of another flat plate. Over time this joint can tarnish and develop crud with humidity, thus the blade-thin contact points no longer have good contact. So when using Deoxit to clean, you really need to get it on these contact joints and not just spray it in the jack.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
    charelroi likes this.
  8. charelroi

charelroi

Sep 2, 2013
    Thank you all, guys! I'll check it when I get my little beast back from the reseller :)
    (my band members were already joking 'cause it's China made... :D)

9. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Tiny amount of DeOxit. Nobody likes to work on an amp that has received more than a tiny amount.

basscapes, Geri O and Caca de Kick like this.
  10. vinnydbass

vinnydbass

Feb 4, 2008
    Toronto
    I'm bumping this. I had this exact problem. I figured mine out, not sure if its exactly the problem the OP had. When I played my bass, it sounded just as the OP said, like I was playing through an overdrive pedal. I actually owned this amp since 2012, and this happened just a few months ago, so I wasn't convinced that there was anything wrong with it other than a poor connection or worn out jack. It started up fine, no weird noises from the cab, just distorted, thin tone whenever a note was struck.

So, I opened up the amp. Turns out that there are two white plugs that connect to the circuit board. Well I assume that when you move this head around, or vibrations from your car or cab etc, the connection can loosen, making a poor connection. I snapped it back in place, boom, back to normal. This amp stays in my practice room most of the time, I only moved it so a friend could try it out, so these aren't the best connectors. The problem has been gone since, and my amp still works perfectly.

In this picture, there are two white hardshell plugs shown. Make sure they are depressed all the way into the female connectors:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    punchclock likes this.
  11. Yes and yes to both things- FX loop jacks and internal connectors!

I have the same thing happen on pedal boards too- even though I almost never take my pedals off (thus never disconnecting and reconnecting them), the "grungies" get the best of them every once in a while!

Deoxit to the rescue! I use a shot of it on either a swab meant for electronics (not a Q-tip!) or a pipe cleaner (be sure to have power disconnected!!)- works wonders and I swear if the tone doesn't "improve" every time I clean this up (even if only every few months!).

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    You know, my Micro VR has fallen off my little hand truck while walking at a brisk pace and rolled across a concrete sidewalk, and those connectors never came off and it still works like new. Probably not the most expensive connectors you can get, but for me they did the job. You sure your friend wasn't tinkering in there? :D

13. vinnydbass

vinnydbass

Feb 4, 2008
    Toronto
    Haha. I hope not. They were both loose, so something from the production end perhaps, only worsened by my moving it around.