1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg micro vr opinon

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by amplover, Jan 3, 2012.

1. amplover

amplover

Jun 23, 2011
    Iowa
    I like the sound of these things live with bass. They're loud enough to be heard through a live band without being mic'd. Does anyone know how these would sound running into 4x12 on guitar?

2. sowegafly

sowegafly

Mar 25, 2010
    I think you would have to have at least 2 of the av cabs

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I've tried it with a guitar into a 210av...good clean guitar sound...didn't really work for me for a dirty sound as well as it does on bass, to be honest.

4. amplover

amplover

Jun 23, 2011
    Iowa
    Okay. What would the next best thing be in this amp's pricerange?

5. blastjv

blastjv

Jan 8, 2010
    Philly Area
    What?

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Are you looking for a solid state bass amp that can do double duty with guitar? Good question...the Micro VR will do it if all you want is clean and you use pedals for distortion and reverb. Otherwise, I don't know if there's anything in the SS world that will do both. If you can find one of those old Crate Power Blocks, they are relatively cheap ($100-150) and sound really good on guitar, though a little anemic in the lows on bass.

7. amplover

amplover

Jun 23, 2011
    Iowa
    Yeah... I do use alot of pedals... I just wondered. Maybe I should go that route. I am not a huge fan of the powerblock at all. Or anything Crate for that matter. I am thinking I should just get an old peavey mark series head if I can find one in like a 4ohm. That would run sweet with a guitar cab. Plus those older ones have fuzz and distortion built in and it's very impressive. They run pretty cheap around here.

8. amplover

amplover

Jun 23, 2011
    Iowa
    Then again, I think they only come in 2ohm. That could be a problem. Being in college and broke sucks! It's going to be next to impossible to find some good gear that I can use!

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    A SS head that runs at 2 ohms will also run at higher impedances no problem. You just get reduced wattage, which you likely won't need with a guitar.

10. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    yeah was gonna say, having owned/used the Peavey Mark Series heads/cabs as one of my first rigs, they'll do 2/4/8 ohms.
    I gotta alota use out of that 2 ohm feature when I always used two, 4 ohm cabs. I did blow a couple Black Widows back then though. But I know better now. :bassist:

11. amplover

amplover

Jun 23, 2011
    Iowa
    Well, I honestly had no idea how that worked. Thanks guys! I think my mind is made up now!
    It's between an acoustic head or a peavey mark series now! Whatever comes up cheaper!