Ampeg Micro VR/power amp pedal?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bicycledaybass, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Bicycledaybass

Bicycledaybass

Jun 23, 2018
    I bought the ampeg micro VR thinking that was the amp to have. Seen it all over KEXP and live studio performances. I got the two 210av cabs for it. But obviously it wasn't loud enough. Amazing tone tho. I assume it's used mic'd up for studio recording more than gigging. If I put a power amp pedal in the mix would I get the desired volume/headroom I need without pushing the amp too hard? Ehx has some affordable ones. Bought the little fella, didn't do the trick then said screw it and got the SVT VR 85 pound beast. Just want to still get use out of purchasing the micro

2. Mushroo

Mushroo Guest

Apr 2, 2007
    The EHX power pedal has less power than your Micro VR. So it would be quieter, not louder.

Your SVT-VR is a great choice if you play loud music. Arguably the best bass amp ever. :)

Have you considered replacing the 210AV cabinets? In my opinion, upgrading your cabs would give you the best "bang for your buck" if you need significantly more stage volume than what your rig can currently offer. Your SVT-VR with an 8x10 (or two matching 4x10) would handle almost any gig.

Bicycledaybass likes this.
  3. Bicycledaybass

Bicycledaybass

Jun 23, 2018
    Ahh okay. My buddy has "the fridge" 810 in our practice space and I've played the micro through that and it still is weak. Maybe need to find the right power amp if those ehx pedals are no good. Or maybe it's just a di out or mic'd up recording amp for me now. But yes I'm extremely satisfied with the SVT VR it's plenty loud through those 210's for the gigs we currently play, great sound too I'm happy with the rig. Will definitely be looking into a bigger cab sooner than later. Thanks for the input

JimmyM likes this.
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I used to run my 69 SVT and those two cabs and I loved it. The Micro VR is definitely not in the same tonal league, but for a micro, it sounds quite good and very much like Ampeg IMHO. However, it's 200w, and not the loudest amp they make by any means. Personally, I think their higher power micros are better for live work when you need to be loud and ballsy, but I use a Micro VR on my smaller gigs and it's gross wattage overkill for me so no problem :D

Bicycledaybass and Stumbo like this.
  5. Bicycledaybass

Bicycledaybass

Jun 23, 2018
    Yeah I'm definitely happy with the cabs refreshing to hear other people are as well, thinking about adding a 115 cab in the mix too eventually. The 210's are far more portable especially considering I'm lugging an SVT VR to smaller bar gigs haha. But that's what I'll end up doing just using the micro for small gigs when my buddies play acoustic and recording purposes. But agreed that the micro is no where near the SVT VR tonally but it does have that ampeg sound worth having in my opinion.

JimmyM likes this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 23, 2022