1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

AMPEG: Micro VR stack or Portaflex PF-50T w/PF 112 cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mo Boogs, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Mo Boogs

Mo Boogs

Mar 26, 2014
    I’m looking to get a good Ampeg rig for smaller gigs, jams and practices. I already own a V4B with the 212AV as my main rig. I have a couple smaller early 2000s Peavey combos that I considered getting a Tech 21 Bass VR to pair with them for an Ampeg-like sound but I’m thinking it’d be better to just go straight Ampeg and drop the pedal idea. Between the two, what would be the way to go for my uses: Micro VR stack or Portaflex PF-50T w/PF 112 cab?

2. Jonathan C

Jonathan C

May 31, 2016
    Smithtown, NY
    Same rig as you V4B and 212AV, love love love it!
    Bought a used PF500 and ordered a new Revsound 115 (no tweeter) cab. Should have it this week, it will be about 26lbs!

3. Mo Boogs

Mo Boogs

Mar 26, 2014
    Man that V4B has GOLDEN TONE! I just discovered 9 months in of ownership that if I roll back the bass and mid knobs I get instant old school Peg tone. Man whatta rig. It makes my Peaveys extreme lack lusters even when paired up with my EHX
    Soul Food. I need something small that nails that tone.

4. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Of those two choices I'd go with the Micro VR stack. I had one and was surprising how loud it can go.

I tried the PF50 combo at one bass get together, and you couldn't hear it with a room full of people just talking, I waited til everyone stopped playing.

5. Mo Boogs

Mo Boogs

Mar 26, 2014
    That sounds good. Did you use the VR thru the 210AV?

6. blubass

blubass

Aug 3, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Current: Blackstar, DR strings, Nady. Previous endorsements with: GK, Rotosound, Ernie Ball, Cleartone, EMG, Dean, Dava Picks, Rebel Straps, Dickies
    Since you already have the V4B with it's all tube goodness, i'd think of the Pf-50t as just more of the same, albeit with the added bonus of a DI set up for recording which seems invaluable for some. I'd be interested in the 210av stack for sure, but pair it with an Ampeg PF350 instead of the Micro VR. Very similar (bordering on identical) preamp, but it's got enough juice to be considered a viable backup for your main rig, and possibly beyond as well.

AstroSonic likes this.
  7. High Camp

High Camp

Oct 3, 2013
    Netherlands
    I would choose a PF-50T with a PF115HE cab, in fact, that is what I use for gigs most of the times.
    (when in need I add another Portaflex cab, you on the other hand would use the V4B / 212AV for the louder gigs)

YMMV, IME, IMHO

8. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma

9. As posted above, the Micro VR 210 with PF-350 head is the combo I'd suggest for what you say you want to use it for. But I'm big fan of the PF-50t and tone-wise it's a better sounding amp. Paired with your 212AV it's real sweet and plenty of volume for a smaller venue. Doesn't get you a smaller cab but the head is lighter.

blubass likes this.
  10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I have both pieces, and I totally like the tube stuff way more than the micro stuff, but honestly, for the price, it's really tough to beat that Micro VR stack.

AstroSonic likes this.
  11. Love my MicroVR stack, especially for situations like this one last weekend..Plenty loud over pretty hard-hitting drummer. Not to mention, I have the flexibility of using those cabs with my V-4B or just taking one to rehearsals.

MicroRig.jpg

AstroSonic and johnpbass like this.
  12. AstroSonic

AstroSonic Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2009
    rural New Mexico
    I wonder how the PF50T would sound with one or two SVT210AV's?

13. bdowd

bdowd Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2005
    New Hampton, NH
    I had this combo for a while, sounded good but ran out of steam with a loudish band. Punchy, tubey, yup, but I found the 210av's didn't do justice to the sweet top end of the 50t due to no tweet...

AstroSonic likes this.
  14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Pretty damn good, although the head fits a bit awkwardly. It fits but not the most comfortable I've ever been with a head on a cab.

AstroSonic and High Camp like this.
  15. How do those 210 cabs sound with two stacked on their side?

AstroSonic likes this.
  16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Wouldn't know. I've only done a vert stack, and it kicks ass. Won't go super puke inducing loud but sounds excellent.

Mastermold, AstroSonic and johnpbass like this.
  17. I still don't own one of these 210 cabs but suspect I will eventually.

AstroSonic and JimmyM like this.
  18. freedomryder

freedomryder

Nov 21, 2012
    Seattle
    You might consider the 112av (with either amp). You could potentially pair it up with your 212 and v4b for louder situations?

Mo Boogs, Lovep and JimmyM like this.
  19. Lovep

Lovep Supporting Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    I agree, the PF50T + 112AV will be closer to the sound of your main rig.

20. Mo Boogs

Mo Boogs

Mar 26, 2014
    Can you run a 112AV and 212AV simultaneously out a V4B? I know the 112 is 8ohms, the 212 is 4 ohms.