1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg Micro VR users, cab/speaker question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by benjammin420, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Has anyone tried, or regularly use, a Micro VR with a 15" speaker/cab? If so, which have you used, and how did you like the results? I'm on the verge of buying one of these guys, I've played it at the store thru a matching 2x10 cab and liked it, and I've also used it at practice with 2 Traynor 1x15 cabs, and liked that too. I'm thinking of getting one of each cab, I'm just curious which 1x15s to consider, or which to avoid. I'm leaning towards an 8 ohm cab, so I can have a 4 ohm load with both cabs together, thus getting full power out of the amp. Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated

2. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Well, I have one and have tried it through a pair of crappy sealed 1x15's I have and it sounds great. I don't see where that amp would work any different on 1x15's than any other amp so I'd not worry about what amp you have. OTOH it is only 200 watts so stick with the more efficient ones. OTOH if you are going to get one of the matching 2x10's anyways a pair of those will probably sound better ( and look cooler ;) ) than one over a 1x15.

3. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I've used mine with a variety of cabs, 4x10, 8x10, 2x10/1X15 (all of those ampegs both old and new), and lately with a 2x15 (swr big bertha). I do like the sound with the 2x15 aside from the tweeter. I'm not generally a fan of solid state heads or tweeters, so using this set up is a lot more high end than I'm used to (or want for that matter) but it sounds pretty good.

4. stiles72

stiles72

Mar 20, 2009
    Albany IL
    I'd go for an Ampeg 15", then swap the grill cloth to match ;)

5. Thanks guys

I'm new to bass, this is my first amp, I just figured there would be some designs/models that would be better suited for the Micro, and others that would be less suited. I know that playing them and using my judgement is best, but like I said, I'm new so I dont have a real sense of things yet (the Traynors sounded good enough, but if there was something that sounded, or was built, better, ie Ampeg cabs, I wouldnt be against spending extra money)

I did think the Micro cabs sounded great with the amp, but I did also like the deep low end from the 15s. I figure 2x10s and 1x15 would be the best of both worlds (Traynor makes a decent looking 2x10/1x15 cab that is also 4 ohms, so it would get the full power from the amp, but I figure the matching VR cab is going to be the best sounding 2x10 with the VR head)

6. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Two of the 2x10's will have ~ x4 the low end of one :cool: .

7. I'll have to try that out then :D

8. A bit of an unrelated follow-up question: One concern I have with the Micro is overall volume, as I mentioned it was loud enough for a jam/practice, but I dont know how well that translate to a live venue/bigger room.

I was looking at the B2-RE which is about double the price and double the power, is that amp as good or better than the Micro? That almost seems like a dumb question, but the reviews of the Micro VR seem more consistently positive (maybe because they are different amps for different needs?)

I've also thought about running 2 Micros for more power (plus I could run FX through one and keep one clean/dry) Maybe thats silly too? I'm a newb, trying to make a decision I can be happy with overtime. I'm pretty set on an Ampeg amp (every time I play anything else, I find myself comparing it to Ampeg) Besides the price, the size and weight of the other, all tube amps (SVT-2pro, CL, VR, etc) is keeping me from giving them more consideration. I would love to be able to get by with the Micro/portable setup, does anybody actually use those live??

9. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    I'm pretty sure I saw the guy in the Roots playing one on Fallon.

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It would look totally killer to put two of those little boogers side-by-side on stage.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    micro vr blows away the b2re in everything but power, imho. loudness is more about the cab rig anyway, and even though wattage is good, the increase from 275w to 450w is not as much as you'd think it would be. however, doubling your cab rig will be a very noticeable increase.

12. Thanks for your input everyone. I really do like the Micro (maybe its a blessing that I dont have alot of experience with classic, "real" SVTs/VRs :D) I probably will end up buying it, I just get really wishy-washy when it comes time to put the money down.

Back on the topic of cabs, what should I be looking at for maximum efficiency (speaker sensitivity, etc)?

I'll either be going with two 8 ohm cabs or one 4 ohm, so I can get the full power from the amp, should I be looking for cabs/speakers that have a power handling rate closer to that of the amps output? or would it be best to make sure the cab can handle more than the amp will be throwing at it?

13. Plstrns

Plstrns

Feb 4, 2010
    Texas
    I seriously thought about one on top of each 151566 to drive the 6's.:D

I'd put the real power amps behind the cabs of course!:ninja: