1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ampeg micro vr users

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lfbassguy, Jun 5, 2012.

1. lfbassguy

lfbassguy

Jul 4, 2010
    west texas
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland
    I have a question for micro vr users. I have just acquired a new micro vr and was wondering if I use it with my 8x10, do I need to use the limiter on the amp? Seems like the limiter kinda holds it back a little. I can see using it on the little 2x10 cab it comes with, but not sure about it with the 8x10. Thanks guys.

btw, I really like the tone of this amp, and through my Alien Alliance 4x10, it is really impressive.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You absolutely do NOT have to use the limiter on any cab, least of all a big honker like the 810. I agree with you about it, too. Decent for a $300 amp limiter, but it does hold the amp back. Then again, that's its purpose ;)

3. lfbassguy

lfbassguy

Jul 4, 2010
    west texas
    Thanks Jimmy!! I figured you would know. I wasn't sure if I would hurt the amp somehow by not using the limiter and turning it up pretty loud.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I've cranked mine pretty darn hard before without incident, but in the long run I'm finding that it's best to not run micro heads flat out. For one thing, most won't let you and will kick in a limiter whether you want it or not. And many micros have protection circuits that shut them off briefly when you refuse to listen to the warning signs and keep trying to crank more out of it. But you have an endorsement deal with Lakland so I imagine you've got some wits about you ;) so you'll know when you're at that point. You can crank it pretty hard and it'll stay cool, but I would avoid diming it.

5. lfbassguy

lfbassguy

Jul 4, 2010
    west texas
    Cool. Thanks Jimmy! That's what I was wanting to know. It seems when I run it at 8 ohms I can leave the limiter on and really crank it. It just gives me trouble when running it at 4 ohms, so I thought I would just bypass the limiter. I try not to run any amp "too" hard.

Btw, this is my first micro, so I wasn't sure what to expect. So far, I think it's pretty cool.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    It's a sweet and toneful little amp, for sure. Wouldn't use it if I were in Metallica, but I've used it on many of my own gigs. Have fun with it!