1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg MTI SVT aka Japanese Made SVT from the 80's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gunight, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Gunight

Gunight Banned

Has anyone played through one of the Ampeg SVT heads made in Japan by MTI in the 80's? If you have I would like to know what you thought of it. Did you like the sound?

MTI SVT’s were made between 1980 and 1986 and are easily identified by their black face, white rocker switches along the top, medal corners, and the enclosure doesn’t slant back at the control surface like that of the SVT-CL SVT-HD, and SVT’s of the 70’s.

2. Chuck King

Chuck King Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2006
    Chicago
    I've got one. I think it sounds good and sounds like an SVT, but I've never side-by-sided it with an older one to see what the difference really is. But the point is, just playing through it, it seems to do everything one would expect an SVT to do, just fine.

I've used it with several different cabinets, but just recently I (finally) picked up a fridge for it. Whoa buddy!

3. KPAX

KPAX Banned

Mar 22, 2005
    I believe I've read that the 80's Japanese MTI STV is exactly the same as the 70's US SVT internally. I think they used all the same components and even the same circuit boards. I've seen them and the chassis looks the same - same controls, jacks, tube positions etc. in the same spots. I may have read that at some point in production they designed out the hard to find 12BH7 tube. I think that's it.
    I read that for their initial runs they simply built them from american parts they received from Ampeg when they bought the name.
    Other than the control panel printing and the cabinet, I believe MTI didn't make any significant changes.
    SLM did significantly redesign it when they bought Ampeg but I think they did a good job and improved the amp.
    I've never played thru one but there's some SVT gurus on TB that probably have.

4. MTI's use different transformers and put out slightly less power than old US SVT's, but their build quality is superior.

5. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    They had a rep for spotty quality back in the day............ Good general build quality, sometimes bad parts or mistakes.

I'd bet any still around have been fixed if they had a problem originally.

Good amps, although many have the "12AX7 mod" instead of the 12DW7, same as SLM units.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I used one on a gig about a month ago, and it was outstanding.

7. tonester

tonester

Jun 1, 2009
    chicago il
    commercial user
    i own one and its the best svt ive ever had.its solid and reliable.has its own
    sound.will never let it go.i pigked it up used in 1992 for 350.00 love this
    head.

8. I would think that after five years the OP has made up mis mind.