Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ampeg MTI's: good? bad? awful? ok? really bad? amazing?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rancor85, Apr 19, 2005.

1. rancor85

rancor85

Apr 19, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Hey everyone, I need some advice and after searching through the forum this is definitely the place to ask. I have the option to get an Ampeg SVT from the MTI era with an early 80's ampeg 8x10 for $1200 total. now, this seems to be pretty good deal to me seeing how getting a new svt classic and a new 8x10 cab would cost me around $2500. Now, I have read some very mixed reviews on the MTI head, some seem to swear by it and some think it's ****. Has anyone personally had positive/negative experiences with this head? I haven't gotten a chance to go give it a try yet.

Here are some photos:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was told the amp was mostly used for teaching bass lessons and hasn't really been out on many gigs so I would imagine it's in pretty good condition.

It seems whenever I hear a bass tone I love it turns out they're using an svt (ie interpol, ben folds five etc.). Do you think this head would be better than a new svt-classic or would I better off saving my money I should be spending on college? Any advice you guys could offer would be spectacular!

Thanks, Chris

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Someone was just asking about the 4 input SVTs around here not to long ago actually...
    First and foremost, if you are taking a loan, or otherwise hurting moeny for college to buy this - DON'T DO IT.
    Secondly, if you can give it a test ride for a day or two (with deposit or something), do it. Give it a run with your bass in your home. If you can't, take your bass to the store and give it a good couple of days of playing/fiddling to make sure it's your thing. Also, worst case scenario is that it'd need new tubes, but even then it wont set you back enough, IMO, to justify buying a new one instead. This is all IMO, of course :).

Ray

Edit:
    By they way! Welcome to Talkbass! Glad to have you and I hope to see you around. Enjoy your stay and get ready for GAS!

3. rancor85

rancor85

Apr 19, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks for the welcome!

well, I can afford it now, I've saved some money up and it's being sold by a guy a couple towns over and I'll be able to go try it out for a little bit. I just want to make sure that I know as much as I can about it before I make an investment in it. I figured that sometime soon it would need a retubing, but if it's not going to crap out on me later I think it'll be worth it. thanks!

4. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    You may want to wait for someone here who knows a fair amount more about Ampegs than I do. Only one I have any expirence with outside of a backline or store jam is the SVT4PRO. Someone will come along soon I imagine...

Ray

5. rancor85

rancor85

Apr 19, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    no, I know, I'm asking as many people I can. I'm going to wait untill I can make an informed desicion, don't you worry.

6. Bump

7. Sorry, this isnt much help, but was just gonna say the cab looks pretty cool with the fold out handles instead of the towel-bar style thing :)

8. rancor85

rancor85

Apr 19, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    also, does anyone know of any recordings that use this amp?

9. I've heard lots of reports that AC/DC's bass player loves and uses these MTI era SVT's. They are the same schematic as the Magnavox era SVT's that are widely considered the best SVT's around, but the transformers are different usually unless you get a really early one like mine, and the resistors and caps are inferior too. Outside of that, they are a great amp, and will sound very similar to a Magnavox SVT. I won't ever get rid of mine. I've played a late 60's 6146 equipped one, which had higher power and more of a midrange emphasis to the tone. I've played several 70's Magnavox made ones with the 6550's, and then I've played several MTi era ones including mine, with the 6550's, and the 12dw7's in the preamp, as well as the 6550's and 12ax7's in the preamp. I like the 12dw7 versions best, because that is like the vintage ones from the 60's and 70's, and they just sound better to my ears. Many of the MTI era ones had the 12ax7 in the preamp, but it is an easy mod to convert it back to the vintage correct 12dw7 instead. I like 6550 equipped ones better than 6146 equipped ones, because they have that thundering low bass whereas the 6146 ones do not. Any MTI era one can be made to sound like the Magnavox era ones IMHO, and as is they sound better than any new one. If the price is right, get it.