1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg mud..should i switch to SWR?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LaquerFunkMonk, Apr 19, 2006.

1. LaquerFunkMonk

LaquerFunkMonk

Mar 23, 2006
    Florida
    I've got a problem. but dont know what to do, dont know what i need. I have an Ampeg SVT 3 Pro with a PR410HLF cab..(one of those supposed high fidelity cabs)...I have an Ibanez Roadgear (about a $360 bass), and i run a Line6 Bass PodXT Live through the effects loop.........
    the problem is, i sometimes get a little muddy and boomy, and my bass settings are reasonably low, i dont want to cut the bass frequency all the way down or else i wont cut through my loud-ass drummer and my guitar player.....
    ...I was thinkin i need more power.....but then i thought i need more drivers....since i use lots of effects, i need a cab that gives me tight, clean, and really loud sound. I was thinkin of either buying an SWR SM900 amp and keep my current cab..or buy a Megoliath and a power amp for my SVT 3 pro. Maybe i need a better quality bass? Warwick?Spector?Rickenbacker?...........****! im sorry this ****'s so long...I play hard rock & some funk ,and i want a versitle tone..mixing styles of Dirk Lance, Paul d'Amour's bass tone is ideal from Tool's Undertow album.......ANY suggestion would be greatly appreciated...I NEED LOUD AND CLEAR TONE (that goes great with fx) Thanx guys

2. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Big tube (300w) amps, tend to work really well with loud rock bands.

3. jpark

jpark

Feb 2, 2006
    WV
    It may be your cab since it's ported. Sealed cabs tend to be more punchy and less boomy.

Have you tried it without the POD?

4. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    Just a thought, do you ever play dry, not wet (no FX), and is your tone still muddy without effects. Maybee it's your processor giving you the muddy sound. I personally love SWR, but i'm actually in the market right now to get an Ampeg head, as I play mostly 70's and modern rock. The Ampeg was highly recommended by a technician I know who builds custom amps for studio musicians.

Don't think I helped much, as I'm pretty much for both of your choices. BTW, I've never tried the megoliath, but the goliath and goliath jr sound way to bright to me (rock sound), I think it's much more of a slapping cabinet.IMO.

5. LaquerFunkMonk

LaquerFunkMonk

Mar 23, 2006
    Florida
    thanks for answering so quickly....ive thought about tubes..but its a bit expensive to maintain a high power tube amp...Jpark..I was thinkin about non-ported cabs, like the svt810e but i also like the Megoliath which has ports in the back if Im not mistaken. my PR410HLF has a high power rating, but Im thinkin more speakers with the same power rating is better.maybe?

I've never played without effects on gigs, i need my effects to get that gritty distorted "Tool" sound for some of our songs, but then we get into some funky wierd **** where i pop-n-slap, and other songs require a fast and punchy funk finger pickin.............However, i did try a Dry signal without my BassPod...and it did sound louder,and it cut through nicely, but i really need the flexability of switching through patches for different styles.

Do I need more power?more speakers?, I dont think i'm Overdriving my input signal with my BassPodxtlive.....thanx in advance
    Any suggestions are appreciated

6. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    I've used SWR for a while now and my friend has a full Ampeg classic-series stack. The Ampeg blows mine away in the rock factor. Look at other possible problems for the muddyness.

-Eric.

7. jpark

jpark

Feb 2, 2006
    WV
    If I were you, I would take my gear to the local music shop and try different combinations to find where the "mud" is coming from.

8. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    Do you have the ultra low button engaged on the 3 pro?

9. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    Do you have the cab sitting on the floor? If you do, try elevating it so it's closer to ear level. Very cheap and makes a world of difference.

10. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    True you are asking a lot from your rig ... the SVT 3 is considered by many as a fine amp ... so the cab my be the issue ... can't comment on the POD as I don't use any effects.

One of the cabs I use is the universal fave of all in the band and mine too ... If you can find one test drive a SWR "Henry the 8x8" ... VERY punchy with lots of bottom too.

11. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    Just got back from the King's X show. Doug Pinnick was using two SVP-Pro preamps, an SVT-4, and an Ampeg 8x10" cabinet. No mud.... just huge tone.

I think EQ has a lot to do with it.

12. +1

This switch scoops the mids, so try to disengage this switch if you can.

I recommend you get a better bass in the first place and try your Ampeg first without the POD... It might solve some problems.

13. tlwaps

tlwaps

Feb 13, 2006
    Ohio
    When I had my PR410HLF paired with my SVT4PRO all it would do is fart; so I got rid of it and went with an SVT810E and couldn't be happier. Now I know i'm using a different head, but i'm just letting you know how my expierence went with the pr410hlf. But to me it sounds like it's your pod. I'd try tweaking that and if it still doesn't help then do what jpark said and take it to a music store to see where the mud is coming from.

14. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    I have my Ampeg SVT-2 Pro dialed in where there is basically EQ'ed flat. I get crummy tone out of my Ampeg when I set the drive and gain too much. I also get a lot more low end when I click in the ultra low button.

Maybe try the -15db switch? Sometimes bass pickups run hot (mostly active but even some passive pickups) and the -15db helps to get the sound down...

Start by EQing your bass and your head to flat. Dont spike or boost anything... Then start to goof around and specify when you become unhappy with your tone and work around it.

I found that flat EQing (sometimes a frown EQ) makes me get heard better in the band.

15. Using bass to cut through the mix? Sounds to me like you need to work on your EQ. There's nothing inherently wrong with that setup. I hate what PODs do to tone though. As someone mentioned, consider trying without the effects to see what happens.

SWR is in theory more hi-fi than ampeg, but if you're happy with your tone and have a problem with volume/cutting through... try messing with EQ and effects first...

16. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    +1

i wouldn't give up on any of your gear just yet, until you find the culprit. you might replace the wrong thing and be further away from the tone you're looking for. how is the eq on your bass set?
    in my experience those pr410's like alot of power, i used an older pr410h with a mesa 400+ (tube maintenance isn't anywhere near as high as most think!) and it could hang with 300 guitar watts through 6 12's and a mega loud drummer with no pa help, but there were times i needed a little more. when i added a 2x10 i could take over if i needed to.....

i would make taking my stuff to a store or borrowing some other gear from someone a priority though.

17. Well, I almost always use the ultra low button on my svt-3 pro, but when things get too boomy, I use the graphic eq. Normally it's bypassed, but a small 30 and 150 Hz cut along with a little level boost can clear a lot of rubbish out of the signal. "Room correction", as they say in the manual...
    Anyway, the 3-pro should have enough eq options to clean things up.

18. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    How are you EQing the svt3?

Have you tried putting the the pod between your bass and the amp?

Have you tried running your bass into the pod and the pod into the effects return on the amp?

What EQ changes are you making on the pod?

19. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx

I call that my ZZ TOP cover song button. :D

20. corrosiontrav

corrosiontrav

Sep 9, 2005
    I always had the same problem when it came to Ampegs. I've never liked their heads, but I do love their cabs.

Anywho, I found my tone with a Mesa 400+ and an Ampeg 412HE.

Good Aggressive in your face punch with clarity.