Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg needs to get their act together

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Davidoc, Jan 26, 2003.

1. Is it just me or does it seem like there are a LOT of people that have really buzzy ampeg amps. I'm sick of it. Ampeg needs to get their act together.

2. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    Everyone hates the 60hz hum. I think a major company like ampeg will go to great measures to make a prouduct that doesn't hum. Btw, the pup's are usually the culprit. The people you are reffering to must have bad equipment other than the ampeg.

3. From what I've seen, Ampegs don't have any more problems than any other mass manufactured amps.

4. I have the problem myself, and have heard many complaints on this board about the exact same problem. It is not 60 cycle hum, and has nothing to do with pickups or other equipment. I think people were able to fix it completely by replacing the preamp tubes, but you shouldn't have to!

5. None of the ampegs I have ever owned have hummed, unless it was 60 cycle.

6. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    same here, no buzzes. As a veteran memberof this board i have heard complaints about EVERY amp manufacturer.

7. Exactly. I know a lot of guys in the amplifer repair business all over North America and have done a considerable amount of repair work myself. The consensus is that Ampegs aren't any less reliable than any other mass-produced amps.

8. I agree, I've never had any problems with excessive hum.

9. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I've been using my ampeg rig for about a year now, and I haven't had any problems....

P@

10. submelodic

submelodic

Feb 7, 2002
    Seattle, WA
  11. bassyamaha5

bassyamaha5

Sep 4, 2002
    Hanover, MA
    my svt 3pro has a nasty hum to it at all volumes, my tech said it is probably preamps though, I have tried everything else, different basses, powersupplies, cables, speakers, it just wont go away,

12. BY5: Did you buy this head new? Is it under warranty? If so, did you send it back to Ampeg for repair?

I've been playing Ampeg amps for over 40 years and I've never had this kind of problem. I've never known anyone personally that's experienced it either.

I'm not doubting your word, or anyone else, on this at all. If you have a problem, take the appropriate action.

But blanket statements about something like this, or any problem, shouldn't be made. It's OK to voice an opinion about your amp and any problems that you've had with it. But, blanket statements never hit home.

I know that you can get problems with any brand, any model. Electronics by its very nature is prone to problems. I've been working in electronics since I was 19 (58 now). I've seen it all from cheap stuff to super expensive stuff and you can get problems in all of it.

I hope you get your amp fixed. I have an older SVT-III head, fore-runner of the SVT-3Pro, and it's a wonderful head.

13. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Hm, not about Glockenklang... ;) :p

14. Er0

Er0

Jan 15, 2003
    St Louis MO
    i'v enever had any problems with any ampeg

15. both my SVT350 and its replacement (SVTCL) were soo problematic that i was happy to sell them (at a profit :D). I was at Audio Electronics (SLM svc ctr) with it more than onstage.

16. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Opinions and experiences vary, but I personally have yet to try an SVP-Pro preamp without excessive hiss in the DI output. I keep trying to like that preamp, but it won't let me. ;)

17. terraplane

terraplane

Oct 14, 2002
    Italy, Palermo
    My ampeg v4-bh have no problem of noises...is possible that some ampeg amplifier have this problem, not for my experience...I've played with an svt3-pro some times, no problem with this one.

18. Some people are just plain old dumb and dont realize that EQ has an effect on it. Every bassist I know who hasnt been playing 1-2 years complains and doesn't even realize that cranking their EQ doesn't give you good tone. In fact, it doesn't give your more volume unless the speakers can handle it, it just makes the speaker fart;)

I did it myself. Being ignorant with gear is the first stage, and you don't even realize it because you think you know what youre doing:D

19. I don't think it should be necesary to cut your treble all the way just to get rid of buzz.

20. Cranking the EQ all the way won't make you speakers fart unless you don't have the wattage to back the boosted EQ. MY Ampeg SVP is 8 years old, and it's never had a hiss problem, neither did the SVT3 Pro i used for a club gig a few weeks ago. Ampeg is known for putty crappy tubes in their amps, try replacing those. If it's SS, i can't help you