1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg Neo Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Shane Carter, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Shane Carter

Shane Carter

May 21, 2007
    Detroit
    I was wondering if anyone owns or has played the Ampeg Pro Neo PN-410HLF cabinet, at 64 pounds, I might have to get one of these. I know they also have a single 15" and 2x10" as well.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    not out yet. and the only one i know who has played it is tom bowlus.

3. Kind of a newb question, but will a neo speaker sound much different from the standard ferrite one?

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    yes. from what i'm told, flux is flux, but the neo magnet is smaller and pulls in a smaller radius than the big magnet. plus since neo is so strong yet small, speakers can be designed to go way lower and move more air with neodymium, so most manufacturers take advantage of it.

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Yup, I don't know the science, but my neo-loaded 2x12 goes way deeper and lower than my old fashioned 2x15 cab, at less than half the size and weight. It's magic.

6. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Im definitely interested in the 2x10 for my small gigs...when are they coming out?

Edit...oh crap, I just looked it up and the price for a 2x10 is $799! (at GC) I didnt pay that much for my SVT410HLF.

7. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    I was right behind Tom playing them at NAMM~ very impressive and I was able to crank them pretty hard. The 4x10really seems to shine in that group.

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    In addition to hearing them at NAMM, we recently received the PRO NEO 410 in for review (along with the SVT-7Pro), and the neo 210 and 115 are on the way. :cool:

9. Flumigator

Flumigator

May 9, 2010
    Akron, Ohio
    I just picked up a Pro Neo 15 (PN-115HLF)....It's got plenty of punch, but my basement practice room is not a good place to "audition" it. I'll be gigging with it tonight (with either my SVT-3 PRO or my Mesa/Boogie Bass 400+). I'll let you know how it goes. I was lucky..I was able to get a floor model for considerably less than the going price of $799.

10. PunkSweeper

PunkSweeper

Jan 23, 2010
    Believe it or not, when I went into the bass section at the Guitar Center on July 26, Ampeg's Dino Monoxelos was there demo-ing the Pro Neo 4x10. It had a leanish but solid and fast low end, somewhat restrained midrange, and crisp, extended treble. It sounded very nice.

Meeting Dino was pretty cool too. He told me the story of how he knocked expensive banjos in the next booth with his 36x10", and got banned from NAMM thereafter.

11. Flumigator

Flumigator

May 9, 2010
    Akron, Ohio
    I've played three gigs with the Pro Neo 1X15 to date...a club gig and two outdoor festivals. My band plays a combination of modern country and Southern rock and I'm on stage with three guitarists (each with 100-watt (give or take) 2X12 combo) and a hard-hitting drummer who plays '80s vintage Tommy Lee Sonors (freakin' cannons!). With my Mesa/Boogie Bass 400+ head and the Pro Neo 1X15, I can more than hold my own on stage. The cab puts out great clear, tight tone (at all frequencies) and I haven't even pushed it yet! It does my job all the way from an open low B to way up on the G!! For the music I play, it's a great fit. I may never need another cabinet!

12. Great deal!!! I absolutely LOVE the MarkBass cabs, myself!

here's one question that I have, however. When it comes to "weight", am I figuring something "wrong" here??

Let's see:

The PN 410 HLF = 64 lbs

The PN 115 HLF = 59 lbs

Together = 123 lbs

I'm trying to figure where the savings is??

I mean, is it me, or does that seem a bit ..um...heavier than one would expect for NEO cabs??

13. naturalkinds

naturalkinds

Jan 22, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    Ever seen the weight on the Mesa neos?

:bag:

14. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    But as far as 4x10's go 64 lbs. is light.

15. Well, I understand...don't get me wrong, I'm an Ampeg guy! I was looking at their site and couldn't help but think that, adding the two cabs together, seemed to be a bit heavier than I would have imagined...

I mean, My 8X10 weighs in at something like 137 lbs...

But I suppose that, compared to the other NEOs, it's about right...

16. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Ampeg is of course using neodymium-based drivers for weight reduction, but they definitely seem committed to building a structurally and acoustically sound enclosure. These definitely appear to be well-designed cabs, as you would expect from EAW. have been fairly impressed by the PN-410HLF. The weight seems quite manageable, though no, these are not the absolutely lightest cabs out there. They do sound good, though! :D

17. Oh, I hear you!!

Look, when I made the jump BACK to Ampeg I was utterly impressed with the new Heritage line. I'm anxious to give the NEO cabs a go..but will obviously be sticking with the cabs and head I just bought....*looking around for the Wife*.....

I honestly had planned to go with another builder (a mutual acquaintance) but after waiting for, what? 4 years had to give up and move on....and I'm VERY happy that I did!

Cheers!!

18. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Yeah, the Heritage line is quite impressive, too. I really have to give the current Ampeg crew props. Things were not looking so rosy for the brand, but when you look at the Micro-VR, SVT-210AV, SVT-7Pro, Heritage line, Pro Neo line, etc, it's obvious that they are busting their butts and are committed to keeping the brand at the top of its game.

19. Well, I was indeed, glad to see them come out with both the Heritage line AND the NEO line. I believe that they saw what little was left of their customer base eroding and changed the "business model", if you will.

I, for one, am damn glad to see it!

DaveLS likes this.
  20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    the bankruptcy certainly helped move that along, too. apparently the soulless idiot jaime engen took down all their products in the process.

just goes to prove that you can't take a legendary name like ampeg and run it as you would making little green army men. some businesses have to be run with a little more heart.