Ampeg - new believer!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bass-only, Aug 7, 2002.

1. Bass-only

Bass-only Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2001
    I have been kicking around getting another head for ahwile. I was an inch away from picking up a Walter Woods head when I saw the light....

I stopped in at the local GC yesterday to see what they had. I haven't played through an Ampeg since I'd sold my 70's SVT around '82.

Well, I plugged into a SVT Pro 4 head and was amazed at the tone, variety of sound and incredible volume! I a/b'ed it with a SVT Classic as was amazed how "tube-like" the Pro 4 sounds. In fact, there was little (if no) difference in "tube warmth" and the Pro 4 seemed to have a little more kick. I understand there are 3 tubes in the preamp section, so that explains the sound. You've gotta love a 5-year wattanty also!

Anyway - I am the newest convert to the Ampeg cult!

Now if I can just find someone to buy by Trace RAH600SMX!
  2. When the dust settles and all the flavor-of-the-month brands have lost their luster, Ampeg still shines. Not that other brands aren't great, but I think they're always trying to improve on a sound that doesn't really need improving, the Ampeg sound. I think it's the benchmark.

My .02
  3. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    My biggest trouble w/ Ampeg is how unportable their gear is.

I am curious about the Port-a-stuff they have, but I'm guessing it losing some of the reason to buy ampeg in the first place.

I will say I love those rocket combos!
  4. damn straight wally! my b-100 rocket combo is just so damn slick, i love it. it packs a good volume punch and awesome tone. it's just perfect. as long as i dont start playing HUGE venues (which i dont think will ever happen) i dont know if i'll ever want to upgrade...and i bought that combo 3 years ago as a temporary practice amp!

5. Word. The B-100R is one of the best combos out there. You gotta love it.
  6. Bassr64

Feb 9, 2001
    Ampeg gear gives you great tone and big muscles. :p
  7. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    I dealt with this by combining the V4 BH,(SVT sound, but a manageable 40 lbs & loud enough for most clubs- 100 TUBE RMS- I like tubes)with a
    SVT48HE 4x8 cab w/ horn- Also very manageable, not that heavy, rolls right in on coasters.
    The sound- Well, ya got your snappy 4x8's giving great attack & definition, highs, lows, mids along with TUBES! Ultra-High/Ultra Low, "presence" switch
    on head gives a great glassy tone when I want it.
    Ampeg tone throughout!

Now my Mesa Buster Wedge- THAT is heavy!
  8. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    You bought an AMPEG!!!!

Ha HA HA,
    Don't you know they are under powered and they use eminence speakers and they are built buy Crate and fIeLdY doesn't use one and you can't transport them on your skateboard and real bass players use EDEN?????

Welcome to the family
  9. Dang, I guess I'll have to change brands. It was all good until the fIeLdY thing.

Ampeg gear for sale cheap, or will trade for EDEN!

10. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    I'm running my svp-pro through the 1850hd, and I'm pretty pleased with the results. The svp is pretty versatile without being needlessly complex. The drive and gain controls are really handy for some cool overdriven sounds, and it overdrives nicely without ever sounding harsh. It can also get really deep and clean too if that's what you're after.

I mainly play rock, and this preamp definitely feels at home in that territory. You can tweak the low end for tons of punch without sounding boomy, and there's plenty of room for glassy highs too. It's got harmonic content in spades, cool stuff. Aside from the 'Ampeg sound', this unit allows the unique sound of each instrument to come through nicely.
  11. I played an Ampeg B25 last night. I fixed it all up and cleaned it for the drummer. It had been kicking around for years missing fuse holder. It sounded nice and warm but think it would have more punch if I replaced 7027s output tubes. Its at his house so I won't have to bring an amp to practice.
    Rock on
  12. I'd run it by PsychoBassGuy on TB before I did anything like that. Most techs will tell you that the power tubes don't generally need to be replaced unless there's a problem. Remember, the B25 is only 50 watts, I think. Don't know how much serious punch you'd get out of it no matter what you did.

13. Bass-only

Bass-only Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2001
    Thanks for all the remarks!

I picked up the SVT Pro 4 yesterday and played it through 2 Bergantino HT112's. All I can say is Awesome! I can't wait to try it through the Bergie HT310!

Eden, SWR, Trace Elliott - what was I thinking????
  14. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    did someone say unportable?!

i have an SVT2pro head. it is a massive pain in the arse to move, in fact it never goes on top of my stack because i just cant lift it above waist height.
    on top of that the bastard gets red hot within half and hour and whilr it sounds cool when its really running, you just cant touch it afterwards!!!
  15. i just recently purchased the B4-R.. it's a little brother to that SVT-4.. i'm stoked. i was a dedicated (or confused?) SWR user for about 6 years.. i'm getting ready to get another cab so i can really pump the bugger and see what it can do. so far, very happy. solid-state ain't too bad!
  16. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    after owning my new SVT3pro for a few weeks I talked my Ampeg dealer into trading it in on a B4r and love it. There are several here at TB that have discovered the great tone of the B4r.
  17. Gee I didn't realize I had to run it by the big phycobassgod before I change a tube.

"I'd run it by PsychoBassGuy on TB before I did anything like that. Most techs will tell you that the power tubes don't generally need to be replaced unless there's a problem. "

I played it next to my traynor YBA-1 and it lacked punch. I heard some 30 year old tubes. If I were to gig with it I would have a fresh set of Svetlana 6l6 in it but for practice the're just fine. I may not be as wise as the psyco but replace a few tubes.
    Rock on
  18. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Welcome to the family. I love my Ampeg equipment. I have one cab, an SVT 410 HLF, that I use w/a Carvin RL-210 (has an Ampeg Badge on grill ;)). I have lots of amps. An SVT II Pro, V4-B re-issue, an SVP-Pro that is used w/ an AMpeg SVP-1500 poweramp & an SVT-2P that I use with a SoundTech PS-802 poweramp.

Latley I've been using the SVP-PRO/SVP-1500 w/both of my cabs. We recentlty played a blockparty outdoors & it sounded fantastic. Next Fri (8/23) I'll be using it at a gig. I can't wait.
  19. Ok then, good luck with your 50-watt rig.

(you don't HAVE to run it by anyone, just thought that someone here with eons of tube amp tech experience might be able to help, but I guess unsolicited advice is worth not much).
  20. I've used Ampeg equipment since the early '60s. I've tried many others, currently own some others, but always prefer Ampeg.

My main gig amp is currently an older SVT-III head (older version of the SVT-3Pro). I love it. I have considered buying a newer head, but it works so well that I just can't justify it. I own four Ampeg Classic Series cabs that I use with it in various combinations (2 1x15s, 2x10, 4x10). I also have B-100R that I use for smaller venues.

You really can't go wrong with Ampeg, regardless of all of the claims made by owners of Eden, SWR, Hartke, etc. I don't knock these other amps, they're good equipment, if you like the sound they produce. I just happen to prefer the sound that Ampeg produces. I even own a Fender, Ashdown, and Peavey. All bought for various reasons that I couldn't find and Ampeg for, and they fulfill their purposes quite well.