Ampeg new Portaflexes

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by b30307, Dec 13, 2000.

1. b30307

Nov 18, 2000
    I know these amps are only 100 watts and meant for blues , country, and jazz gigs BUT- has anyone tried them
    for low/moderate volume rock gigs ? I've found one used , and am lusting after that tone .
  2. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    :eek: only 100 watts? If you can, do a side-by-side with a 300 watt solid state.

I've not done any moderate volume rock gigs with mine, but
    I think it could hang. Ampeg does make a 1x15" extension
    cab for the B15-R (B15-E). This might help.
    If it were me, I'd use my Mesa Buster head (200 watt) and a 2x15".

Psycho_Bass_Guy probably knows some tricks for jackin' up the output -
    biasing, a matched-set of ...(insert tube type here).

Here's a good FAQ site about tubes & tube amps - This is VHT (guitar amps).
    The "Technical" section is good, though.

Yours truly,

A tube-tone snob [​IMG]
  3. b30307

Nov 18, 2000
    Actually , I have a Mesa Buster amp . It's heavy, awkward , and frequently overkill .
    Thanks though . I have a Genz-Benz 210XB now. Probably be enough using two cabs , but still I'd like to hear
    other's opinions on using just the Portaflex .
  4. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    :) Okey-dokey. But FYI: The "new" (re-issue) B-15R's weigh 117 lbs.
    It does comes with a dolly.
  5. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I've always loved the Ampeg B-15 tone. A few weeks ago I had the opportunity to buy a new B-15R at an attractive price.When I went to the shop to check it out I was thinking that it would be fine for small venues ( I was not interested in spending that much for a home practice amp).
    Anyway, I test drove it using a Fender '75 RI Jazz.I played it for about a half an hour at ALL volumes. The shop owner is cool about that stuff.By the way the shop was pretty small.
    At one point I had the volume AND gain all the way to "ten"- full tilt. And while the tone was fabulous I found myself thinking that if this is all it has it won't be good enough for all but the smallest of rooms my band plays.So I passed on it. Now I must say that I play in a fairly high energy Blues/R&B band where the volume gets up there even in small rooms. If you're music moves a little less air it may be fine for a small venue for you.Of course, if you are willing to spend that kind of money on a practice ( or studio) amp you will have scored a very toneful amp, but not loud, amp.
  6. b30307

Nov 18, 2000
    Yeah , I went ahead and copped it . Definitely not loud . Am going to run it with a 2nd cab and see what happens . I think a big part of the problem is the Ampeg standard 15 . I've heard one of these w/ a JBL 15 and it was a whole different animal . The store said I could return it tomorrow , and we rehearse tonight so .....
    Oh, and geez - is it a heavy mother ! I think I hurt myself getting it in the hatchback . Man !
  7. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    b30307 ~ More FYI: Along the lines of swappin' output tubes...The B15-R's have a switch
    in the back for changing between 6L6's and EL34's. I haven't tried this (yet). Santa's credit
    card is in critical condition right now going for a more "portable" rig: The 2x10 I have plus
    a Pignose B100VH (100watt, all-tube head) from Dr. Music. ALSO. A Dean Rhapsody HBF.

Here's from the VHT FAQ Re the difference between 6L6's and EL34's ...

Hope your back's O.K. from totin' that thing around.
    Look on the bright side ~ The stock B15-R speaker has a 56 ounce magnet.
    The speaker in the Aguilar 1x15" has a 95 ounce magnet :eek: .

How'd the gig go ? :)

[Edited by notduane on 12-14-2000 at 03:06 PM]
  8. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Hey notduane, how do you like the Dean Rhapsody HBF? Please post a review of it, I've been considering getting one.
  9. b30307

Nov 18, 2000
    Okay , the love affair is over . Tried the Portaflex @ rehearsal . Even with 2 cabs not close to the volume I needed . We were auditioning a new singer , halfway thru the 1st song she's looking at me and then pointing at her ear . The universal "I can't hear you " sign . I just turned it off and hooked -up my regular bass amp .
    It goes back to the store tomorrow .
  10. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    slam ~ Sure thing! :) As soon as Santa gets it here ($$$ :D ) .
    I'm still noodlin' what kinda' strings to put on it.
    It's down to Roto or Labella tapes, and TI flats or rounds.

FYI ~ There's an amberburst at BNW and another (used) on eBay.

11. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    :( :( Bummer! Well, lessee...there's the Trace Elliot "V" series.
    They use KT88's in the output (hotter than 6L6's and EL34's).
    The V6 model has (duh) 6 KT88's and is rated at 400 Watts RMS.
    I believe the new V8 is also 400W, but with another pair for reliability.
    I think they also make V4 and V2 models at respectively lower wattages (?).
    zZounds has a V6 head for $999 ($2499 list). According to the description,
    the head is 61.5 pounds. Besides the overkill of 400 watts, you may be
    "back to square" Re the awkwardness of the Buster head (that puppy IS heavy).
    How about a ~swap with the store where you bought the Buster head
    in exchange for the (Buster) 1x15" combo? It's got one of those handy-dandy
    luggage-type totin' handles.

Good Luck! :)