1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg not getting along with active basses.........

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jazzcaster89, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Jazzcaster89

Jazzcaster89

Oct 3, 2016
    Hey guys. Recently picked up a deluxe active jazz bass. The fact that you have to take apart the Ampeg scr di to use it with an active bass made me sell it immediately. That’s just stupid. Now, I have an Ampeg 1 15 combo. My passive P and PJ bass sound amazing threw it. The active jazz sounds like garbage. Distorts no matter the tone setting. And yes I’m using the -15 input. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

mc900ftj likes this.
  2. Hmm...My Yamaha BB735A sounds marvelous through my little Ampeg. Just as good, if not better than my passive Precisions. I never pad the input.

spaz21387 likes this.
  3. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    I've ran a lot of active basses through ampegs over the years, I normally just pad the input or turn down the gain on my wireless input to match that of my passives. I never had any issues unless the input was too hot.

I'm assuming the preamp doesn't have trim switches. Try dropping your pre gain on the amp as well. I can get a pretty awesome sound that way, so unless the guitar is messed up, you just have to find the gain level that fits the amp

Jazzcaster89 and GoLeafsGo like this.
  4. GoLeafsGo

GoLeafsGo Not Quite Right! Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Whitby Ontario
    Hmmmm, I have a Deluxe Active Jazz Okuome, and love how it sounds through my SCR-DI into a PF500 with a 115 and a 210. What is your issue with the SCR?

Jazzcaster89 likes this.
  5. Jazzcaster89

Jazzcaster89

Oct 3, 2016
    If you want to drop -15db for active instruments you have to take the back off and move a tiny connector with tweezers and not screw up the circuit board.

6. Jazzcaster89

Jazzcaster89

Oct 3, 2016
    Well crap. Maybe it is the active bass with these suhr electronics so many people raved about on here. The bass is up for trade locally anyway. Not really a fan. Just seemed really odd. The bass didn’t distort at all threw any of my guitar amps though.

7. Geri O

Geri O Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Does the active bass have a trim pot on the preamp?

I keep finding reasons to talk about my new Ampeg SVT7-Pro amplifier. With my Stingray SR5, I can use the gain button set at zero. But the Mike Lull Jazz bass with the Bartolini preamp bumps the overload light a bit. The Bart has a trim pot on its output. But I imagine I’ll have to continue using the -15 setting with my wireless rig’s output.

gebass6 likes this.
  8. mrb327

mrb327

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Nobody Knows
    Curious the outcome of this. Granted mines a tuber, but I’ve run the passive and actives both through the regular input, just adjust the volume on the bass. No issues

9. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    First, try a fresh battery inside the active bass. If it is worn down, the output is distorted.

SakuBass, Mugre, MDBass and 10 others like this.
  10. Jazzcaster89

Jazzcaster89

Oct 3, 2016
    I’ll plug it in now and mess around with it a bit. I’ll post back in a few.

11. Jazzcaster89

Jazzcaster89

Oct 3, 2016
    Will do

beans-on-toast likes this.
  12. Jazzcaster89

Jazzcaster89

Oct 3, 2016
    Well damn. That fixed it. Sounds great. Not even using the minus 15. The guy literally brought it to me from a music store. Had new strings and a set up before we traded. Even gave me a receipt. I guess I assumed they would have changed the battery. I know my guy I used back home always did. Kinda weird it sounded good threw all my guitar amps. Oh well problem solved. Thanks guys!

SakuBass, gebass6, SirMjac28 and 8 others like this.
  13. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    The easy solutions are always the best. On the plus side, if you ever have this issue again, you’ll know just what to try.

14. Jazzcaster89

Jazzcaster89

Oct 3, 2016
    Thanks!

15. FMBassist

FMBassist

Nov 27, 2017
    Milford PA
    Check the battery. You may have to change it. It sometimes happens with my Pedulla Thunderbuzz and my PF350. Change the battery and it's fine.

16. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale

Is it 9 or 18 volt?

Try backing off all of the tone controls flat ... no gain and no cut ... then turn down the volume and plug it in.

A good rule of thumb

Sometimes expensive high end basses sometimes don't play well with smaller less powerful amps. You may need some overhead to sound good.

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Hey guys, he fixed it by changing the battery.

18. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    The easiest things get overlooked so often. I think we're all guilty of that.

smogg likes this.
  19. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    So you got a late 90s jazz? I HATE those Suhr electronics. All scoop and no mids. I sold the bass within weeks. I played it through half a dozen provided backline rigs and couldn't find a single usable tone through any of them. You should be able to sell it and get your money back, because they do have their fans. They must be all slap and no finger/pick styles. With fingers and pick it did nothing for me.

Edit: So the battery "worked". I still can't stand the Suhr preamp.

20. GoLeafsGo

GoLeafsGo Not Quite Right! Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Whitby Ontario
    Yes, that is really a design flaw, but I am fine with my active Jazz without dropping down. Same with my active Schecter. Just be a bit judicious with the instrument volume. I also use an A-B box, and can adjust for this there.

Edit - just read that new battery fixed it.

Jazzcaster89 likes this.