Ampeg Options

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ezra1, Jul 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. I am considering an Ampeg amp for grab and go.
    The BA 210 V2 or the Portaflex PF 800 with the 2/10 cab or 1/15 cab.
    The 1/15 reminds me of the B15s of my mispent youth.
    Does the BA and Portaflex share the same Tolex ?
    I am leaning towards the Portaflex purely from the looks.
    Any recommendations from users ?

meatwad likes this.
  2. The PF-800 is a great amp but may be overkill. I have a PF-350 and it's plenty for everything I need it for (although I primarily use SVTs for gigs).

3. Vintage-Blue

Vintage-Blue Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 13, 2008
    Cincinnati, OH
    Owner, Vintage Blue (repro cabinets)
    No recommendation for you, but the BA-series do not share the same tolex. The BA uses the nubby tolex like that found on the SVT Classic components and the Portaflex cabinets use the Black Diamond/black check tolex.

GregC likes this.
  4. Thanks for the Tolex info.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    It's overkill, yes, but it seems to me that the more wattage these micro amps have, the better they sound, assuming everything else is equal. I once compared the PF800 and PF500 in an 810e, and while it was fairly subtle, I thought the PF800 had a slight increase in balls. Might not be noticeable enough for some since they do sound alike, but I noticed it and I'm glad I sprang for the 800.

6. I am leaning hard towards the PF800.
    Just got to decide which cabinet.
    My Ashdown gig rig has 4/10s.
    I have a small pedal board with a Darkglass Ultra Deluxe and Super Symmetry.
    So the 2/10s might be in my wheelhouse experience wise.
    The single 15 is attractive to me because of the old school B15s I loved.
    But do you think the 15 might mire me up in low end mud ?

7. High Camp

High Camp

Oct 3, 2013
    Netherlands
    IME, the PF115HE isn't muddy at all.
    Au contraire, a very usable and versatile full range cab/speaker.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Agreed to an extent, but it does go very low so the potential for mud is there.

9. The specs on both cabs are very close.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Close, yes, but it does make a difference.

11. I have a SVT4PRO and 410HLF and I wanna sell this gear. I'm looking for small head + small cab. But I don't know where to looking for. I like in a big and warm tone of Ampeg but in the other hand I don't like too much fancy shmancy things (ultra hi, ultra lo it;s useles for me), enormous muddy low end like is in 410HLF and lack of usable midrange. And a little bit more clarity in sound will be desired. And I wonder does this PF -800 and small cab will be similar to my gear or at least without this cons which I mentioned or I should looking for sth else in other companies ? I don't like cheap gear made in China and I heard that those small ampeg amps have many issues. I need punchy bass which not only sitting in the mix but break through in band. I play mostly in wedding bands etc. and bass needs to be really audible and punchy. But I also need amp to play with rap, funk, blues, rock, jazz bands so it must be really versatile and not so sterile and crispy clear because ampeg is not like that.
    Sorry for complex post but I really don't know where to looking for. There is a lot of gear on market and it's hard to find and choose right gear. Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
  12. iagtrplyr

iagtrplyr Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2013
    Clinton, IA
    As an owner of a number of solid state Ampegs, and currently a PF-800/115HE, I can tell you it's a great combination and should satisfy you. In fact, I'm taking the rig to Columbus, Ohio in less than a month for a weekend outdoor worship gig/service, and with an extension cab I have available, I know it's going to sound like I want it to.

The 800 is built solid, has that famous Ampeg tone to it, and has been flawless in the year or so I've owned it. I just purchased the cab last month, but have put it through its paces and it delivers bottom, punch, and clarity compared to the Fender Rumble 115 I had last summer. You wanna talk about mud.

I'm an Ampeg guy though, so yeah, I'm bias. I just bought a BA-108 v2 last week because the price and condition were excellent and that darn thing is totally giving my GK 25-watt combo a serious run. The build quality is 300% better than the first gen 108 I owned.

So buy with confidence and enjoy what comes through that rig.

ezra1 and JimmyM like this.
  13. I ordered an Ampeg PF800 with PF210HE this morning.
    It should be here Thursday or Friday.
    I considered a bunch of amps and spent lots of time researching online reviews, contacting manufactors and Talkbass.
    JimmyM tolerated many questions as I narrowed it down to a BA210 V2 and PF800.
    Then the choice between a PF115HE and PF210HE.
    I look forward to this.

iagtrplyr, High Camp and JimmyM like this.
  14. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2010
    los angeles
    As far as grab and go, it doesn't get more portable than my pf350 and 210av. I love the sound. It can carry stage volume fine and sounds great cranked up a bit anyway. I wouldn't use it without a bit of PA support, but as long as I have some, the one trip to the car is awesome.

High Camp and ezra1 like this.
  15. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Love my PF800. Always delivers the tone and easy to dial in the room.

ezra1 and iagtrplyr like this.
  16. I just got an update from FedEx and they say it will be here by the end of the day Wednesday.
    ...cool

JimmyM likes this.
  17. iagtrplyr

iagtrplyr Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2013
    Clinton, IA
    Congrats, ezra1, I know you're going to be very happy. Just take the time to dial in your sound and enjoy. If you really want some fun, pony up for another 210 cab and evacuate all living things from the premises.

ezra1 likes this.
  18. Haha
    I have an Ashdown EVO 500 with 2/410 cabinets.
    I thought it was loud and big.
    I use it for gigs but recently found I needed something lightweight to just pick up and go.
    I will fire up the Ampeg PF800 through those cabinets just to experience it.
    But the PF800 with the PF210 HE will have plenty of grab and go fire power @ 400 watts.
    This will be fun.

iagtrplyr likes this.
  19. Got an update from FedEx.
    My amp will get here by the end of the day Thursday.
    ......bummer

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021