1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg or Acoustic

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by acmmisfit, Apr 22, 2010.

1. acmmisfit

acmmisfit

Apr 22, 2010
    L.A., CA
    yes i know ampeg amazing :spit: but only true bass players know that Acoustic was the amp gods in the beginning, i own the Acoustic B100 1x15, its great! i played the ampeg 100 watt combo and it really let me down and its more expensive?!!?!? so what do you guys preffer???? :bassist:

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    the acoustic at gc has zip to do with the original acoustic except the logo.

3. D.M.N.

D.M.N. (O)))) Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    ^^What Jimmy said. GC Acoustic is chinese made value gear. Acoustic of yore was top-tier concert amplification. Not saying it isn't good, but it's not the same. To accurately compare Acoustic & Ampeg, you'd need to side-by-side an early SVT+810 and a Acoustic 361/360

4. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    Depends... What ampeg and what acoustic are we talking about. I own a ampeg b15n fliptop. Hands down the best bass amp ever made for recording... I've also owned an SVT350, and was very underwhelmed by it. Played through a couple more ampeg solidstate heads, some solidstate combos and was very unimpressed. I owned a couple of vintage acoustics, their flagship 360 amp and the 150b. The 360 is the best solidstate head I've ever heard. GREAT character and warmth. You'd be surprised at those rocker switches and the tones you can get with them if you play around long enough with them. The 150b is a decent amp too. For solidstate stuff vintage acoustic wins every time. Ampeg owns tubeland though.

5. Toptube

Toptube

Feb 9, 2009
    Its true that the new acoustic stuff is not at all what the old stuff is blah blah but even though the OP may not realize exactly whats going on, he is still talking about Value gear and even said by his own experience, he thinks acoustic comes out on top with the roughly equivalent models mentioned.

I myself have the B115 cab from acoustic. Its not the best thing ever, but Its suprising decent for how much it costs. The worst thing I can say about it is that its not very tight, but it is a 15, so that's not out of line. Oh, and don't touch the horn. Its pretty gross. Other than that it is pretty darn articulate and translates grit and growl pretty well. I'm pretty happy with it considering the money. I've been thinking about giving acoustics' neo210 a try.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    i think the acoustic b100 and the ampeg ba115 are both good little budget combos. i like the ba115 a little more, but not by much.

7. I'd say that it depends on what you are going to DO with your amp.

I play for a hobby as an Old F@rt Garage-Band and for some backyard BBQs and lawn parties, but basically for fun with a bunch of friends. I lost a lot of the goodness in just playing when it was for money and fame - both of which I never really got in large, bankable amounts anyway. Now we eat your steaks and drink your beer for our fees.

Those Ampegs & GKs are very good and you'd know that if you've ever been around professionals with some prestige and pride in their equipment - but I find them a little too expensive for what I need. I like the GC/Acoustic Gen-II stuff - it's also very good, powerful and maybe falsely, very product-identified as a great sounding and working set up; we've just gotta see how they stand up in the real world. So far, so good as I like my Second Generation Acoustic amps/combo/cabs and they suit me well (and for sure I'm not going on the road with them).

Frankly - the Gen-II Acoustics have a lot of power, they weigh a LOT! and they can knock the wind outta your chest. I was very surprised that they were the GC-house brand, and that means something to me as a warranty is primary and with a GC in almost every larger city, it works for me pretty good.

So far I haven't had any warranty claims as I fixed a factory SNAFU myself on a speaker cab - but that's just me and me being impatient.

The new ones look in many ways like the Gen-I Acoustics, and that's all well and good. But as far as I can remember of the Gen-Is, is that these new ones are a lot better in ways than the older units which had some slight shortcomings::: modern electronics and speakers. Weight-wise, the Gen-I ones I don't remember, but these new ones are quite heavy!

No - they don't build them like that any more - but I think that's for a good reason too - they were OK for their time period ---- but ------ahem, let's get real.

Anyway - I've just ordered the B-810 cab for my B-450 (and you should know that it has a B-600 amp inside it, and I'll be running a 1010 cab/combo) and it's quite a few yards less expensive than the Ampeg bigger and prolly more rugged cousins.

Commercial users naturally should go to the Ampegs and GKs and their like ilk.

I like what I've got and since I'm not gonna pro-work any bars or rooms or dance halls ever again - I'm fine with that.

The Gen-IIs however will knock your socks off and thump you hard in the chest!

To each his own - I guess I am saying that the Gen-II is not likely what a professional player would want to use on a long concert tour.

Fair enough???

8. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    This comparison is between Ampeg's lowest end combo, and GC's "house brand" Acoustic combo's. Both are what they are, and the "brand" comparison is unfair, since Ampeg's line is famous for the upper end stuff, and Acoustic went out of bussiness decades ago.