Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg or Aguilar?? some input please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ldiezman, Mar 26, 2002.

1. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I'm in the market for a new cab.. A complete new rig actually, and well, i'm stuck as to which cab to get.. I've played through som ampeg cabs and I like them alot.. But I hear so much about Aguilar cabs and amps that I just wanted to know what some of you cats thought about them.. I was told by a TB member that Aguilar were kinda of like an "ampeg meets eden" cab. If thats the case, I think i may go with Aguilar b/c i also like eden cabs.. What do you guys think.. Be biased.. I don't mind.. what do you think gives the best tone and clearity of notes in a live setting?

Thanks,

Jim

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    If you like Eden, why not get Eden? Or EBS? Or Ashdown?

When you get to amps of this quality and reputation, it comes down to a personal preference. Each one definitely has its own characteristic sound, and will invariably work better for one person than it does the next, and so forth.

I, personally, chose EBS because it seems to have more focus on the harmonic overtones and have a certain hi-fi "crispness" that I couldn't find in Aguilar, Ashdown, or Eden. Ashdown was, for me, on the opposite end of the spectrum.

3. Hey Jim,
    I just sold my Eden D-410XLT and got an Aguilar 2x12. I had made that decision based on hearing them both through an Eden preamp/power amp, and preferring the Aguilar. But when I played the Aguilar with my amp -- an SWR SM-900 -- it was a different story. I set my EQ flat with the Eden 4x10 and got a sound that I liked, because the Eden has a distinct character -- that low-mid grunt. The Aguilar doesn't have that.. it's pretty neutral. So, I've had to do some EQ'ing at the amp to get the sound I want.
    I'd say you really can't go wrong either way.. just depends on how you want to shape your sound.

4. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Hey guys, thanks for the Response

RAM as Far as me Just going Eden, aguilar, or ampeg, That is what i am trying to figure out.. I was saying that i like eden and ampeg cabs, and was told Aguilar was a bit of both.. having never played aguilar, i don't really know, but i would like to find out as much as possible about these cabs before i make a decission you know?

Peace,

Jim

5. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well, I hope you don't think I was coming down hard on you, and if it seemed like it, I apologize:D

IMO, Aguilar's not quite as "hi-fi" as Eden but has more punch than Eden.

6. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Ram I didn't think you were comming down hard.. No apology necessary..

When you say "hi-fi" do you mean by the amount of electronics and circuit boards?

jim

7. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    I don't know what all this about electronics and circuit boards is, but I always figured "hi-fi" meant that the sound didn't emphasize or color certain frequencies more than others. It "stays faithful" to the original sound of the bass and/or amplifier, and doesn't distort at high volumes or high/low frequencies.
    Going by this definition, I'd say that Aguilar cabs are more "hi-fi" than Eden, since they don't have that extra emphasis in the low midrange. They have a great, crisp "flat" sound. I use an aguilar 1x12 and an eden 2x10, and I have to say I enjoy the "bedroom" tone of the aguilar a lot more, but I can always depend on the eden's midrange boost to cut through a band's noise.

8. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I have no problems cutting through my band with my two Aguilar 1x12s. They are very loud cabinets and they do have a nice low-mid emphasis (too me). The sound is very pure (not very colored like the SWR stuff I've played through in the past).
    I am extremely happy with the Aguilar setup.

Now if I could only afford their amps.

-KB

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i dont have much experience in using Ampeg cabs live, but have with Aguilar's and love them for loud gigs. i used an Aguilar 2x10 on rental, and was blown away by how great it sounded. using my WT400 and later EA iAMP350, it has that Eden lower midrange punch, but like the others said, with a hifi edge that added a nice crispness and growl. An Eden D210XLT in comparison sounded muddy.

but i wasnt too impressed with Aggie's 1x12s. i had been searching for a cab that was low volume and easy to carry for my coffee house/upright gigs, and found the Aggie's to be small and cardboardy sounding. granted, juicing them with more power brought out that hifi grunt, but i needed something good for conversation level playing that wouldnt overwhelm. i cant even go past 3 on the gain or master volume on my WT400! My Bergantino HT112 fit the bill for that. it was much clearer, full, articulate, hifi, and lighter to carry. it might have lacked a bit of the Aguilar punch, but the other factors won out for me.

right now i'm in the market for a higher power setup, and the Aguilar 2x10/1x15 combo is definitely something i'm looking into as well as an Aguilar DB659 preamp w/Stewart World 1.2 power amp.

Good luck in your search!

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Aggie GS112's should only be sold in pairs;)

11. Ah, words of wisdom ;)