Ampeg or Darkglass rig?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by viktorix, Aug 14, 2018.

1. viktorix

viktorix

Aug 14, 2018
    Would you rather rock a Ampeg 410 with a kickass Ampeg top or the Darkglass 410 cab with a DG Microtube amplifier?

jeff7bass likes this.
  2. Dahre

Dahre

Aug 30, 2018
    Malmö
    Darkglass for punch, clarity and tighter low end. It'll also save space and weighs less.

Ampeg for a classic look with a classic sound.

viktorix likes this.
  3. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    They couldn’t be more finally different, IME - opposite ends of the spectrum. Hard to believe one person could love both. I personally love Ampeg and absolutely hated Darkglass when I tried one. The guys is the store (whom I REALLY) trust a lot swore by the Darkglass and couldn’t believe I didn’t like it.

To each their own.

Roger W and viktorix like this.
  4. I'm talking about the SVT810, rather than the 410 (half an 810, depending on WHICH Ampeg cab you are referring to). The 810 is an iconic, ROCK and ROLL bass cab. The SVT Tube Head is the same. It sounds and looks the part of rock and roll.

I can't even begin to comment on ANY Darkglass cab, so this may be a little bit biased (hahaha)...

I love my SVT810 cab. It may be "dated" in comparison to other full range or newer cabinets; but no more so than a Marshall is a "dated" when compared to a Dumble, Soldano or Mesa sound- the instrument, amp and speakers interact with each other in a very specific way.

Just depends what you want sonically. Go listen and make your own judgement call!

viktorix likes this.
  5. As5Hat

As5Hat

Feb 17, 2020
    randomly found this. I'm actually pairing an svt4 head with a 410N DG. ill see how it turns out

Lovep likes this.
  6. LuchaCrowfly

LuchaCrowfly Low End Punch ! Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2016
    Florida
    review please, and/or video.

7. As5Hat

As5Hat

Feb 17, 2020
    I went with the 212 instead. It sounds amazing, idk what else to say. and it weighs like nothing for a 1000w cab. I do agree with other people that the material the cab is made with is extremely fragile. if you hit it on anything, be prepared to be sad if you dont like to have dents in your stuff. I also found an HS410 Bergantino cab at a local long and mcquade for 500CAD... This was obviously a mistake on their part. plus the amp guy said he was really mad the price was so low and that the saxaphone guy priced it. most people walking in there didnt know what it was and i nearly crapped myself when I saw it. Played it for two minutes, laughed and bought it immediately.

MCF likes this.
  8. BogeyBass

BogeyBass Inactive

Sep 14, 2010
    no 4x10 just a Ampeg 810E
    probably not use a Ampeg head

and if i did use a Ampeg head probably something
    old and horrible nobody would buy. lol

and no not joking. that is the fun in using any head and sounding just fine.
    your gorgeous little ugly led sled

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021