Ampeg or Fender Combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jorge, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Jorge

Jul 6, 2005
    Hey, I can't decide whether to get the ampeg BA115HP or the Fender Bassman 250/115. They both have similar power numbers (Ampeg 220 watts and Fender 250 watts). I like the sound on both of them since i could change the frequency of the horn.

Will the 30 watts in difference produce some seriously higher volume levels? Also, I ust want any other opinions about the two models.
  2. Teh_GoAT

Apr 25, 2004
    I had the opportunity to play on the Fender Bassman 250/115 combo. I also played with the 250/210 combo.

The 210 sounded way better. Tighter, punchier, and still able to hit the same lows as the 115. Might've just been the model, might've been that I was playing a four stringer.

I haven't compared it to the Ampeg combo, I've heard that they're way underpowered for what their rating is. The Fender combo was LOUD.
  3. Jorge

Jul 6, 2005
    Thanks for the advice. I will try out the 210 model as soon as i can.
  4. check out the yorkville xs400t.

much louder than the ampeg and fender. plus it has a tube preamp, and one of THE best warranties in the biz.
  5. FenderP

FenderP Supporting Member

May 7, 2005
    Depending on your budget, also take a gander at the Mesa Walkabout Scout. I use the 1x15" version.
  6. Teh_GoAT

Apr 25, 2004
    That's the sucker that I wanted to play... but at the shop, even "cranked" it barely put out anything. I'm suspecting the tube pre was out or something, not entirely sure. They put a work order on it, but even a week later it was still not on the showroom floor again.
  7. it may have been the tube drive was not on (theres a button on the front) or the compressor was turned up too high.

after 2 minutes of dialing i found killlller rock tone, and really loud. it easily competed against a marshall halfstackk (100wattstube) and a loud drummer.

make sure you get the 210 version, the 115 blows. the 210 is MUCH better. and extremely valuable dollar for dollar.

i may just get the xs800h instead of a RBI and power amp.
  8. Jorge

Jul 6, 2005
    I've been looking at the yorkville and it is mighty tempting. The mesa/boogie is way too expensive for what i want to spend.

The only thing is I do not live near a yorkville dealer so i will have to buy this off the internet. Is this a good idea?
    If i buy it and do not like it, i wonder if yorkville will take it back.
  9. yorkville has immaculate CS. they respond emails same day, and have one of the best warranties. even if you break it, witihin 2 years, they will replace it. that covers everything in the amp, even speakers.

i wouldnt hesitate about buying that combo, its leaps and bounds beyond the ampeg ba210 and fender 210. its VERY loud, it competed with my guitarists marshall 100 watt tube halfstack crankd at 8, while i only played at a 6-7 on master, and gain at a 5ish.

the tube preamp is GREAT. it adds huge warmth, and just pressing the tube drive on button, which engages the tube, you immediatly hear and feel the difference in the room.

definately buy this amp.